RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 21, 2014
The Chronicle of Higher Education
Names Nyack College "A Great College to Work For"
A Fourth Consecutive Year
Nyack, NY—Nyack College has been named a “2014 Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education (CHE) for the fourth consecutive year. Also the second year with Honor Roll distinction, the College received high marks in the areas of compensation and benefits, confidence in senior leadership, job satisfaction, respect and appreciation, supervisor/department chair relationship, work/life balance, and in a new category, professional development programs.
The Great Colleges program is one of the largest and most respected workplace recognition initiatives in our nation that showcases colleges for specific best practices and policies. Nearly 300 institutions were assessed and Nyack College was among the 92 that received the honor this year.
Under the administration of Nyack’s current president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, the tradition was established of celebrating the efforts and the talent of Nyack faculty and staff at an annual luncheon where service and special awards are presented. In addition to 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or more service year awards, others include Online Educator of the Year, Faculty Award for Support of Information Literacy and Critical Thinking, Enrollment Services Associate of the Year, Student Financial Services Associate of the Year, Student Development Professional of the Year, and Athletics Coach of the Year. For the past six years the Commitment to Mission Award has been presented to one faculty member and one staff member to encourage development and achievement in specific areas of strategic importance to Nyack College; to provide an incentive for continued excellence through specific accomplishments that align with the institution’s core values and mission; and to celebrate individual accomplishments that both reflect and contribute to Nyack’s core values.
After serving as a consultant for more than 50 college and university presidents during his career in higher education, Dr. Scales has not wavered in his appreciation for the men and women who serve as his support system and who are on the frontlines of delivering a quality education at Nyack College.
The Nyack Board of Trustees similarly applauds the leadership of President Scales, who was re-elected to a third three-year term in 2012. Scales says, “The Nyack College community is profoundly diverse. Of our full-time faculty, 39 percent are female and 45 percent are nonwhite. Amid this diversity, Nyack’s faculty and staff come together to serve our students. The result is a workplace that is both purposeful and inspiring. Our purpose unites us, while our diversity energizes us. A diverse community sharing a purpose that unites and defines it is a great place. That’s Nyack, and I feel privileged to serve here.”
“I’m honored to have the privilege of serving with such extraordinary men and women, who not only excel in the areas in which they serve, but who go beyond the call of duty to serve the young men and women being educated and empowered for a lifestyle of servant leadership.”
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 3,100 students in its undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs. In addition to its suburban campus in Nyack, NY and a city campus in Manhattan’s historic Battery Park, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement at the Westchester County Center
- Meet Nyack's 2016 Valedictorians!
- Battery Park Campus Now Owned by Nyack College
- A Celebration of Pentecost at Bedford Community Church
- Dr. David Ireland, Rockland County Day of Prayer Keynote Speaker
- Just Released! The Fine Print 2016
- Celebrating Nyack Honor Society Students
- Last Weekend Performances of Mozart's "The Magic Flute"
- West Side Story in Lower Manhattan
- Nyack Doing Community Well: Loving Our Neighbor
- Nyack's Inaugural Social Work Graduate Research Colloquium
- PRAXIS Connections Dinner for Emerging Leaders at Nyack NYC
- How Was Your Weekend?
- Criminal Justice Department Speaker: Mr. Anthony DeWolfe
- 2016 Spring Production: The Merchant of Venice
- CSGE Colloquium Features Matt Hartl
- Nyack Rockland School of Music's Spring Concert
- Nyack Alumna Leads California Elementary School With Innovative STEM Program
- Winners of the 2016 Student Research Conference
- Effective Sales Strategy Workshop at Nyack NYC
- Join 1st Century Village Excavation in Israel With Nyack
- Criminal Justice Department Hosts Career Talk with Mike and Joanne Pelino
- Nyack NYC Chorale in Greater Allen A.M.E Cathedral Concert
- Entrepreneur Sabrina HoSang Is Plenary Speaker for Nyack's Student Research Conference
- Prof. Craig Williams in Concert on Renaissance Chapel Organ
- Browse Blog Archive>>