Nyack's Welcome Mat for Hungary
Nyack College continues to advance its objective of being a good neighbor in the communities surrounding its campuses and beyond. Earl Miller, Nyack’s executive director of community relations, collaborated with Chuck Maze, Rockland YMCA CEO, to welcome guests from the town of Mosonmagyaróvár in northwestern Hungary.
The group visited the Nyack Rockland campus to experience the higher education environment. For several years Mr. Miller and Mr. Maze have hosted groups like this one under the auspices of Atlantic Bridge, a non-profit organization founded by Nyack alumnus, John Oostydyk, and his wife, Donna who are former staff members of Youth For Christ (YFC). After their tenure with YFC, they established Atlantic Bridge, under the slogan “building bridges and breaking down walls.” (Click here for more information.)
The group that visited Nyack today included several graduates of Kossuth Lajos Gimnázium and an educator, Barbara Hohner, who was once their teacher at the Hungarian public school equivalent to an American high school.
In addition to a tour of the campus and lunch in Boon Campus Center, the group gathered in The Hub for casual conversation with Nyack faculty and staff. Mrs. Carol Ann Freeman, administrative assistant to President Michael Scales, who visits Hungary for short term missions twice each year, kicked off the discussion of their homeland. Mr. Miller facilitated a brief dialogue about their cultural exchange. Associate Registrar Jamila Wright shared a candid personal testimony of her journey to embracing Christianity. The campus visit concluded with a musical performance by School of Music professors, Dr. Tammy Lum and Dr. Marie Herseth Kenote.
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>