Nyack's Welcome Mat for Hungary
Nyack College continues to advance its objective of being a good neighbor in the communities surrounding its campuses and beyond. Earl Miller, Nyack’s executive director of community relations, collaborated with Chuck Maze, Rockland YMCA CEO, to welcome guests from the town of Mosonmagyaróvár in northwestern Hungary.
The group visited the Nyack Rockland campus to experience the higher education environment. For several years Mr. Miller and Mr. Maze have hosted groups like this one under the auspices of Atlantic Bridge, a non-profit organization founded by Nyack alumnus, John Oostydyk, and his wife, Donna who are former staff members of Youth For Christ (YFC). After their tenure with YFC, they established Atlantic Bridge, under the slogan “building bridges and breaking down walls.” (Click here for more information.)
The group that visited Nyack today included several graduates of Kossuth Lajos Gimnázium and an educator, Barbara Hohner, who was once their teacher at the Hungarian public school equivalent to an American high school.
In addition to a tour of the campus and lunch in Boon Campus Center, the group gathered in The Hub for casual conversation with Nyack faculty and staff. Mrs. Carol Ann Freeman, administrative assistant to President Michael Scales, who visits Hungary for short term missions twice each year, kicked off the discussion of their homeland. Mr. Miller facilitated a brief dialogue about their cultural exchange. Associate Registrar Jamila Wright shared a candid personal testimony of her journey to embracing Christianity. The campus visit concluded with a musical performance by School of Music professors, Dr. Tammy Lum and Dr. Marie Herseth Kenote.
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Browse Blog Archive>>