Nyack College, A Partner Instructor School for Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
Dr. Jacqueline Washington, (above) chair and professor of the Nyack College Biology and Chemistry Department announced recently that Nyack has been selected as a Partner Instructor School to join The Center for Scientific Teaching at Yale University’s Small World Initiative: Crowdsourcing the Discovery of Antibiotics.
Numerous experts have recommended that all undergraduate students should be introduced to authentic scientific research at the introductory level, regardless of their major by replacing traditional cookbook labs with lab discovery research courses. Research has shown that students benefit greatly as discovery-based instruction engages students, allows them to have ownership, stimulates their curiosity, and promotes deep, long lasting learning.
This project exposes students to a worldwide antibiotic crisis–-most pharmaceutical companies have moved away from the development of new antibiotics to the pursuit of more lucrative drugs and the majority of the antibiotics that are now available are ineffective due to antibiotic resistance of pathogens. Consequently, there are increasing incidences in which there are no effective drugs available to treat infections.
In the Small World Initiative course students isolate, characterize, and identify antibiotic producing bacteria from soil in the hopes of finding novel bacteria. The majority of antibiotics available today were found in soil dwelling microbes.
For further information, click here.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>