Nyack College, A Partner Instructor School for Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
Dr. Jacqueline Washington, (above) chair and professor of the Nyack College Biology and Chemistry Department announced recently that Nyack has been selected as a Partner Instructor School to join The Center for Scientific Teaching at Yale University’s Small World Initiative: Crowdsourcing the Discovery of Antibiotics.
Numerous experts have recommended that all undergraduate students should be introduced to authentic scientific research at the introductory level, regardless of their major by replacing traditional cookbook labs with lab discovery research courses. Research has shown that students benefit greatly as discovery-based instruction engages students, allows them to have ownership, stimulates their curiosity, and promotes deep, long lasting learning.
This project exposes students to a worldwide antibiotic crisis–-most pharmaceutical companies have moved away from the development of new antibiotics to the pursuit of more lucrative drugs and the majority of the antibiotics that are now available are ineffective due to antibiotic resistance of pathogens. Consequently, there are increasing incidences in which there are no effective drugs available to treat infections.
In the Small World Initiative course students isolate, characterize, and identify antibiotic producing bacteria from soil in the hopes of finding novel bacteria. The majority of antibiotics available today were found in soil dwelling microbes.
For further information, click here.
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Daniela Guirola (NC '15) Gives Music Project Proceeds to Guatemalan Non-Profit
- Browse Blog Archive>>