RELEASE: Nyack College/ATS Announces New Board Chair
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Rev. Scott Slocum Appointed New Board of Trustees Chair
For Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary
Dr. Ronald Eastman Named Chairman Emeritus
NYACK, NY—Rev. Scott Slocum was recently named the Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Board of Trustees Chairman. Rev. Slocum assumes the role held for nearly 30 years by Dr. Ronald E. Eastman, who was named Chairman Emeritus.
A minister and speaker at conferences, churches, and retreats since 1979, Scott Slocum has served as senior pastor at Essex Alliance Church in Essex Junction, VT for the past 27 years. During this time, the church has become one of the fastest growing congregations in New England and the largest church of any denomination in the state of Vermont.
Slocum, who earned a bachelor’s degree in Bible and Theology from Crown College in Minneapolis, Minnesota, joined the Nyack/ATS Board in 2005. He served on The Christian and Missionary Alliance National Board of Directors for a dozen years and is a member of The Alliance New England Executive Committee.
Rev. Slocum and his wife, Diane, have been married for 34 years. They have three children—Sarah, Dayna, and Adam. The Slocums also have two grandchildren.
This Board transition signals a new chapter in the history of the 131-year-old institution which was founded in New York City in 1882. Says Dr. Michael G. Scales, 12th president of the college and seminary, “I’m very excited to welcome Scott Slocum to this crucial leadership role. Chairman Slocum, the Board of Trustees, and I will continue to invite the guidance and counsel of Chairman Emeritus Eastman.”
After relocating to Nyack, NY and establishing a residential campus in 1897, the Nyack College returned to the City and opened an extension site there in 1997. Today the New York City campus makes its home in a modern building in iconic Battery Park near Wall Street.
Pillars in the campus community like Chairman Emeritus Eastman have paved the way for new leaders to carry on the institution’s legacy of serving to learn and learning to serve. The college and seminary have benefited from the wealth of knowledge and experience that Dr. Eastman contributed stemming from his career with Marriott International as Vice President of Hotel Development and for Real Estate Development and as Group Vice President for Real Estate Development and for Lodging Development.
At the request of Dr. Eastman and his wife, Marilyn, their transformative gift to the college resulted in the birth of Nyack’s Cheryl Phenicie School of Nursing and the launch of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program. This division of the college was dedicated in October 2010 on the Rockland County campus. More recently, following his heart for the college’s growth and development, Dr. Eastman championed the effort and supported the opportunity to relocate the Nyack/ATS New York City campus to 2 Washington Street in Lower Manhattan.
A 2008 recipient of an honorary Doctor of Divinity from Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary, Dr. Eastman attended the University of Minnesota for graduate studies in finance and business administration and earned his BS in economics from South Dakota State University.
The Eastmans are the parents of two daughters and also have three grandchildren.
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 3,300 students in its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In addition to its residential campus in Nyack, NY and a commuter campus in New York City, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. For more information about Nyack, visit www.nyack.edu.
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Tournament Luncheon Speaker
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Browse Blog Archive>>