RELEASE: Three May 2014 Honorary Doctorates to Be Conferred
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will hold commencement exercises for nearly 700 graduates, including the hooding of the first graduating class of the Doctor of Ministry program. The ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center (pictured above) located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. This year’s commencement will also acknowledge the 25th anniversary of The School of Business and Leadership’s Division of Adult Education Programs.
The Doctor of Letters will be awarded to Mark Burnett and his wife, Roma Downey, co-producers of the 20th Century Fox film “Son of God” and to Lord Edmiston, member of the British Parliament. In addition, they will be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction at a pre-commencement brunch which takes place at 9:30 a.m. at the Tarrytown House Estate, also in Westchester County. The Hall of Distinction was established in 2008 by Nyack’s 12th president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, an annual tradition that commemorates the doctoral honorees and others of outstanding public influence.
Five-time Emmy Award winner Mark Burnett has produced more than 2,400 hours of television programming, which regularly airs in more than 70 countries worldwide. Currently, Burnett’s network series include "Survivor" (CBS), "The Voice" (NBC), "The Celebrity Apprentice" (NBC), “Shark Tank” (ABC), and “Trust Me, I’m a Game Show Host” (TBS). Burnett is one of very few producers to have had a renewed series on each of the four major networks and to have multiple series win their time slot on five nights of television in the same week. The dynamic couple’s recent blockbuster is a follow-up project to their March 2013, ten-hour miniseries “The Bible,” which premiered on the History Channel.
A celebrated, Emmy-nominated actress and producer Roma Downey is best known for her nine seasons as the tender-hearted angel, Monica, on the hit CBS television show "Touched by an Angel." She plays the role of Mary, mother of Jesus in “Son of God” and in “The Bible.” Ms. Downey was in the leading role of Jackie Kennedy Onassis in the Emmy award-winning six hour miniseries for NBC “A Woman Named Jackie.”
Until 2010, Lord Edmiston was the Chairman of the Midlands Industrial Council, a group of leading Midlands industrialists and businessmen who maintain a close dialogue with senior politicians. On January 18, 2011, he was introduced into the House of Lords, which provides a platform for him to be a voice in politics, as well as business and social issues. Lord Edmiston and his wife, Tracie, are the founders of a charitable trust called Christian Vision that operates in several countries, where they spearhead charitable and Christian media projects.
In the week leading up to commencement day, hooding ceremonies for graduate level divisions and baccalaureate services for undergraduates will be held at various locations for the Nyack College Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates.
For information on commencement, click here.
- Men's Golf Team Headed to 2015 NCAA Championship Competition
- Two Operas! Two Days! Prof. Shelley Jameson, Director
- LAST WEEKEND for Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- English Chairman Announces Publication of Fine Print
- Career Talk on Banking at Nyack College Rockland
- RELEASE: Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement 2015
- School of Music in Concert at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center
- 2016 Global Service-Learning Trips For Nyack Students
- Nyack College Rockland Chorale Spring Concert
- Nyack College Student Research Conference Winners
- Service With a Smile #NyackCityServe
- Pianist Johnny Walsh In Concert on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Music Students Minister at Morristown's Market Street Mission
- ATS Colloquium On State and Religion: The Case of Israel
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Browse Blog Archive>>