Prayer for East Harlem Explosion Victims and Family
The campus community of Nyack College is praying for the victims, survivors, and the families affected by the explosion and collapse of two buildings yesterday morning in East Harlem.
Dr. Martin Sanders, director of the Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) program at Alliance Theological Seminary reports that D.Min. student, Bishop Carlton Brown, senior pastor of Bethel Gospel Assembly in Harlem, was two and half blocks away when the explosion occurred. Bishop Brown and his ministry team mobilized and were on the scene from 10:00 a.m. to respond as needs in the community were reported. He has subsequently had to report the loss of two members of his congregation. Click here to read Wall Street Journal coverage.
In addition, Dr. Mayra Lopez-Humphreys, a Nyack College New York City assistant professor of social work and her husband, Rev. Jose Humphreys, who lead Metro Hope Church in Harlem were an integral part of a prayer vigil last night held at Church of God at 2153 Third Avenue, where Rev. Humphreys read the names of the missing.
Metro Hope Church's outreach, Hope House, has taken in one family displaced by the explosion and has provided meals to first responders. Hope House is located a few blocks from the scene of the explosion. A New York Times report on the event can be found here.
Dr. Lopez-Humphreys shared the following avenues for community outreach:
The Micah Institute has identified the following opportunities for churches and individuals that are seeking to support and contribute to the relief effort:
116th & Park Relief Care Packages
First Corinthian Baptist Church is assembling care packages for displaced families. Donations should include food, water, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, blankets, sheets, towels, wash rags, clothing, first aid kits, shoes, socks, soap, hats, gloves, scarves, belts, board games, umbrellas, and rain coats. Please direct questions to Rev. Willie Francois, firstname.lastname@example.org and 409-939-1818.
If you are able to house families, please contact Sam McClendon, who is coordinating this effort for Matthew Washington, Chair of Community Board 11 at email@example.com Office: +1 212 281 4876 | Cell: +1 347 806 3068
Click here for information on local fundraising efforts to directly support those impacted by the explosion.
Please pray for all impacted by the tragedy as well as for the first responders and emergency professionals who continue to work at the scene of the explosion.
- APRIL 10: Nyack College Rockland Chorale Spring Concert
- Service With a Smile #NyackCityServe
- Pianist Johnny Walsh In Concert on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Music Students Minister at Morristown's Market Street Mission
- Nyack College Student Research Conference Rockland Campus
- ATS Colloquium On State and Religion: The Case of Israel
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Nyack Says Thank You to Community Sponsors
- Nyack...We're Here to Serve!
- Broken To Minister CD Launch Event at NYC Campus
- 15-City Promo Tour for Nyack NYC Campus Music Prof Damien Sneed
- Becker Professional Education Presentation
- FEBRUARY 23-24: Pianist Marcelo Liano in Concert at Nyack Rockland
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Kale Yu on "Earth in Mind"
- Denise Lewis Patrick, Award-Winning Author and Nyack Adjunct, Presents Connected Souls
- Browse Blog Archive>>