Nyack Students Chosen for Science Education Alliance Publication
Nearly two years ago Nyack College was selected through a competitive application process to join the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA). HHMI is a non-profit organization that advances biomedical research and science education, one of the largest privately funded philanthropies in our nation. (Learn more here). Last year, Nyack College was one of a select few out of more than 70 institutions invited to give an oral presentation at the 2013 National SEA-PHAGES Symposium.
As a part of Nyack’s membership in the Science Education Alliance (SEA), students are involved in the prestigious National Genomics Research initiative. The SEA Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science, or SEA-PHAGES is the foundation for a national experiment in bacteriophage genomics. Students isolate, name, sequence, and analyze newly-discovered mycobacteriophages which are viruses that infect bacteria, making significant contributions to the field of genomics.
Nyack biology professors, Dr. Jacqueline Washington and Dr. Peter Park, were recently notified that Nyack students were selected to be featured in this year’s Symposium Program Book for the SEA-PHAGES project.
The project is led by Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Alliance (HHMI-SEA) Professor Graham Hatfull and his lab at the University of Pittsburgh and by members of HHMI’s Undergraduate and Graduate Programs group.
Since 2008, the SEA-PHAGES community has offered undergraduate student research experience in lab classes. The SEA-PHAGES course offers students ownership of a project, the opportunity to publish and contribute to the scientific community and the ability to measure progress.
Congratulations to Dr. Washington and Dr. Park for their exemplary leadership and investment in our students!
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>