RELEASE: New Advocacy Training for Latin American Leaders
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement and Paz y Esperanza International Form Academic Partnership
NYACK, NY—An inter-institutional agreement between Nyack College and Paz y Esperanza International has been established to strengthen Christian leadership development in Latin America by offering online advocacy training programs.
The Paz y Esperanza Institute and Nyack College’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement will develop courses for Christian leaders, pastors, and outreach workers in Latin America that will include topics such as Advocacy for Children’s Rights, Integral Mission, and Pastoral Care. The agreement was signed by Dr. David Turk, provost and vice president for academic affairs and Mr. Alfonso Wieland, co-director of Paz y Esperanza International.
Nyack College will endorse these advocacy programs by providing academic support to the Institute’s roster of courses. An inaugural course, “Advocacy Efforts on Children’s and Adolescent’s Rights in Latin America,” will teach students analytical skills and practical tools to protect and promote the rights of children and teenagers. The online courses will be facilitated by professional staff of the Paz y Esperanza Institute and the Movimiento Juntos con la Niñez y la Juventud (“Working Together with Children and Youth Movement”).
According to Mr. Wieland, “This partnership will open up further opportunities for Christian organizations around the world to unite for the purpose of encouraging advocacy work within the Church.”
Dr. Vilma “Nina” Balmaceda, director of Nyack College’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement, who will oversee the partnership with Paz y Esperanza, expressed her enthusiasm for what this partnership represents. “This has the potential to lead to more North-South connections and meaningful cooperation, which can boost effective social action in today’s Christian communities,” she said.
ABOUT NYACK COLLEGE AND PAZ Y ESPERANZA
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson. In addition to its residential campus in Nyack, NY and a new location for its Manhattan campus in historic Battery Park, an extension site is also in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. For more information, visit www.nyack.edu.
Paz y Esperanza is an international human rights organization whose mission is to promote justice for people and communities who suffer injustice and poverty. Paz y Esperanza is comprised of independent organizations in Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, the United States of America and the United Kingdom that share a common mission. Peace and Hope International is the international headquarters for Paz y Esperanza with staff and offices in Minneapolis, USA and Lima, Peru. For more information, visit www.peaceandhopeinternational.org.
- TODAY: Christmas Gift Gallery Benefits Global Service-Learning Mexico Trip
- American Cancer Society Rates Nyack a Top-Ranking NY Institution With Tobacco-Free Policies
- Grace Prescriptions: Seminars for Healthcare Professionals at Nyack NYC
- December School of Music Concerts in Manhattan and in Rockland
- Nyack College Welcomes 2016 Leadership Rockland Cohort for Multi-cultural Communities Day
- Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
- School of Education Authors Release Books on Self-Regulation
- Chelsea Geyer ('12) Director of DC127, a Colloquium Guest Speaker
- ATS Alum and Author, Dimas Salaberrios, in Paris
- New Partnership With An Old Friend: Pastor Lesly Milord
- Nyack's Brittany Cruz Heads to Practice With Women's Olympic Pre-National Team
- Reading the New Testament as Second Temple Jewish Literature
- Author Deb Hirsch of Missio Alliance at Nyack/ATS
- Nyack Salutes Our Nation's Veterans
- 7th Scholars Symposium: In Search of the Meaning of Work
- A Nyack College First: Student Cyber Security Team
- A Showcase of Academic Excellence: Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Fulbright Ambassador Brian Polkinghorn Visits Nyack College
- National Nursing Exam Scores on a Strong and Steady Rise
- Alumni of the Year Award Honorees Across the Decades
- Nyack on U.S. News & World Report 2016 Best Colleges Diversity List
- AWF President Visits Nyack/ATS Rockland
- MA in Mental Health Counseling Online Approved by NYS Education Department
- Peter Irvine, 2015 School of Business and Leadership Keynote Speaker
- Official Statement in Response to Media Announced Law Suit
- Browse Blog Archive>>