Catalyst for Compassion Book Club: A Nyack NYC Social Work Forum
The Nyack College Department of Social Work sponsors Catalyst for Compassion Book Club, a forum for professionals, educators, and students "who seek to be catalysts promoting a just and caring society with compassion by integrating their Christian faith and social work practice." The group’s purpose is to facilitate critical thinking and discussion of crucial and current issues through reading and discussing relevant books.
Coordinators are David Fritz, LMSW; Marcia Herrera, LMSW; Delia Kim, MSW; Percie MCLain, BSW; Brian D. Roland, Ph.D.; and Kwi Yun, Ph.D.
Reflection, response, and discussion takes place on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. on the Nyack Manhattan campus, 2 Washington Street in The Pavilion on the 21st Floor. The January 2014 discussion was on The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander.
Upcoming meetings are
Thursday, March 6, 2014 - The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day
Thursday, May 8, 2014 - The Great Divorce by Dorothy Day
Like Catalyst for Compassion Book Club on Facebook.
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Tournament Luncheon Speaker
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Browse Blog Archive>>