RELEASE: Social Justice Day Luncheon Hosted by Nyack College Community Relations
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NYACK COLLEGE PRESENTS 2014 SOCIAL JUSTICE AWARDS
M&T Bank Is Event's Corporate Sponsor
Nyack, NY—Nyack College will host its annual Social Justice Day Luncheon on Friday, January 17, 2014, 12:30 p.m. at The Nyack Seaport, 21 Burd Street in Nyack. This tradition is a prelude to celebrating the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, which will be observed on Monday, January 20. M&T Bank is the event’s corporate sponsor. M&T recently presented Nyack with a $5,000 donation that continues to grow the 131-year-old college’s M&T Bank Minority Scholarship Fund established in 2004. Through this endowed fund, select minority students enrolled at the college, who maintain more than a 3.5 cumulative GPA and who qualify to receive needs-based financial assistance. The commercial lender’s continuing generosity is a reflection of the bank’s advocacy for higher education and its commitment to the more than two-decade relationship with the College.
This year, two community organizations will receive Social Justice Awards at the luncheon-- Leadership Rockland based in New City, NY and the Martin Luther King Jr. Multipurpose Center in Spring Valley, NY. A Rockland County entrepreneur, Maria Luisa Whittingham, owner of Maria Luisa Boutique and ML Gifts & Accessories, both in downtown Nyack, will also receive a Social Justice Award.
Leadership Rockland, a professional development program, offers leaders in local businesses and not-for-profits 11 daylong sessions over a ten-month period, led by knowledgeable and dedicated coordinators, many of whom are alumni of the program. A major objective of the program is to expose “emerging leaders through an educational experience focused on the infrastructure of the County, presented from the unique perspective of the actual leaders. The program engages and challenges its participants to examine issues and seek solutions.”
The Martin Luther King Jr. Multipurpose Center has been an invaluable resource in the Rockland community since 1978. A dedicated staff runs programs for the community, helping adults, children, families, and the elderly lead productive, healthy, and informed lives. Some of the outreach programs include New York State licensed after school and summer programs, youth employment programs, nutrition education for the elderly, as well as cultural and recreational programs. The Center advances the ideals that Dr. King advocated: non-violence, peace, human rights, social justice, and equality.
Maria Luisa Whittingham is a Nyack entrepreneur and community leader, who in addition to owning her businesses, is an activist in the community and who has served on the boards of the Nyack Center; the Arts, Crafts, and Antique Dealers Association; and the NAACP (a member since 2001) and a Nyack Chamber member since 1987. She currently serves on the board of Rockland Country Day School.
A fourth honoree, Donovan Richards, Jr., New York City Councilman (District 31), will receive special recognition as an emerging community leader. Richards, who studied at Nyack College, represents voters in Rosedale, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, and Far Rockaway.
For more information, contact Earl Miller, executive director of community relations at Nyack College at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu or by phone at 845.675.4791. For reservations, contact Nancy Gates at 845.675.4431.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Daniela Guirola (NC '15) Gives Music Project Proceeds to Guatemalan Non-Profit
- Lynette Rhett, Nyack NYC Student Releases CD--Come Jesus Come
- Distance Ed Roster Grows at Nyack /ATS
- Browse Blog Archive>>