RELEASE: Third Year for Nyack College on "Great College to Work For" List
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 22, 2013
Nyack College Named a 2013 Great College to Work For
by The Chronicle of Higher Education
Employees give high marks to the 131-year-old higher education pacesetter
Nyack, NY—Nyack College has been named a “2013 Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education, for the third consecutive year. This year Honor Roll distinction is added to the recognition because of high marks in most of the twelve categories rated. In the Chronicle’s sixth annual report, The Academic Workplace, Nyack College is a higher education leader in the areas of compensation & benefits, job satisfaction, work/life balance, confidence in senior leadership, supervisor/department chair relationship, and respect and appreciation.
Senior leadership at Nyack has established and articulated a culture of valuing and celebrating employees. During the annual academic year-end awards and appreciation luncheon, President Michael G. Scales reassured faculty and staff of the important role they play in the life of the institution and in the lives of the more than 3,400 students enrolled in the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs. “At Nyack College, everybody is somebody,” he said, “and our commitment to an egalitarian environment makes Nyack College a great place to work.”
School of Business and Leadership Professor James Muckell, Sr., the 2013 faculty winner of Nyack’s Commitment to Mission award presented at the luncheon, commented “I have enjoyed the privilege of teaching at Nyack College since 1987. It is indeed a great place to work. I have academic freedom, the liberty to express my Christian beliefs, the satisfaction of positively influencing young lives desiring to raise families and impact the workplace, and the honor of working with congenial men and women of esteem from various professional and ethnic backgrounds.”
According to Director of Human Resources Karen Davie, Nyack’s generous benefits package includes “100% college-paid medical insurance for employees and their families, tuition benefits for employees and their families, summer research grants for faculty, and special events that bring faculty and staff from the two New York campuses together.”
This spring the Manhattan campus, where nearly 1,400 students are enrolled, relocated to historic Battery Park to occupy nearly 170,000 square feet in a modern structure, double the space of its previous facility. Nyack College New York City is surrounded by landmarks such as the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 Memorial and Reflecting Pool, the New York Stock Exchange, and Ellis Island. “Being in the financial hub of this Gateway City will help us reach our goal of becoming a world class institution of higher education,” said President Scales.
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 3,400 students in its undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs. In addition to its suburban campus in Nyack, NY and a city campus in Manhattan’s historic Battery Park, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
- NOV 2-3: Eighth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- HYMNFEST - An Evening of Timeless Praise
- West Side Story Tickets on Sale Now
- Fall Colloquium at Nyack Rockland on Civic Engagement
- OCT 24-26: PRAYER SUMMIT with Dave Powers Hosted by Office of Spiritual Formation
- Education Conference at Alliance Theological Seminary with Dr. Eric Mazur
- Barb Shiffer: Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
- Cast Your Vote for Josh and Jaclyn Blanchard!
- Remembering Tryphena Ramcharitar
- Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Service of Remembrance for Social Work Major Utopia Campbell
- ATS Alumna Karen Goff is VP at Agnes Scott College
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Browse Blog Archive>>