RELEASE: NYACK COLLEGE/ATS COMMENCEMENT 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NYACK COLLEGE/ATS CELEBRATES ITS 130TH COMMENCEMENT
Honorary Degree Recipients Are Leaders in Film, Business, and Ministry
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 11 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will hold commencement exercises for nearly 700 graduates at the Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY.
Three honorary degrees will be awarded and the recipients will also be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction, a Nyack College tradition that recognizes men and women of exceptional accomplishment, who embody Nyack’s core values of being academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming, and socially relevant. The Hall of Distinction induction ceremony takes place at the Tarrytown House Estate also in Westchester County prior to graduation.
The Doctor of Letters will be presented to Graham Power, founder and chairman of one of South Africa’s leading companies in the field of civil engineering construction, the Power Group of Companies. He is also the visionary leader behind the Global Day of Prayer. The Doctor of Letters will also be given to Micheal Flaherty, president and co-founder of Walden Media, producer of films such as The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe; Prince Caspian; Charlotte’s Web; and Bridge to Terabithia. The third recipient, Rev. Thai Phuoc Truong, president of the Evangelical Church of Vietnam (ECV), will receive the Doctor of Divinity. In June 2011, the EVC celebrated 100 years of ministry, beginning with the first Christian and Missionary Alliance outreach to Vietnam. In 1911, three Alliance international workers, led by Robert A. Jaffray, an alumnus of the Missionary Training Institute, precursor of Nyack College, went to Vietnam to establish the first evangelical church.
This year’s commencement will also include the first graduating class of Nyack’s Cheryl Phenicie School of Nursing, who will receive the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. The School of Music will celebrate the Rockland campus program’s 75th anniversary.
In the week leading up to commencement day, hooding ceremonies for graduate level divisions, baccalaureate services for undergraduates, and the first pinning and dedication ceremony for graduating nurses will be held at various locations for the Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates.
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- Browse Blog Archive>>