RELEASE: NYACK COLLEGE/ATS COMMENCEMENT 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NYACK COLLEGE/ATS CELEBRATES ITS 130TH COMMENCEMENT
Honorary Degree Recipients Are Leaders in Film, Business, and Ministry
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 11 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will hold commencement exercises for nearly 700 graduates at the Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY.
Three honorary degrees will be awarded and the recipients will also be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction, a Nyack College tradition that recognizes men and women of exceptional accomplishment, who embody Nyack’s core values of being academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming, and socially relevant. The Hall of Distinction induction ceremony takes place at the Tarrytown House Estate also in Westchester County prior to graduation.
The Doctor of Letters will be presented to Graham Power, founder and chairman of one of South Africa’s leading companies in the field of civil engineering construction, the Power Group of Companies. He is also the visionary leader behind the Global Day of Prayer. The Doctor of Letters will also be given to Micheal Flaherty, president and co-founder of Walden Media, producer of films such as The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe; Prince Caspian; Charlotte’s Web; and Bridge to Terabithia. The third recipient, Rev. Thai Phuoc Truong, president of the Evangelical Church of Vietnam (ECV), will receive the Doctor of Divinity. In June 2011, the EVC celebrated 100 years of ministry, beginning with the first Christian and Missionary Alliance outreach to Vietnam. In 1911, three Alliance international workers, led by Robert A. Jaffray, an alumnus of the Missionary Training Institute, precursor of Nyack College, went to Vietnam to establish the first evangelical church.
This year’s commencement will also include the first graduating class of Nyack’s Cheryl Phenicie School of Nursing, who will receive the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. The School of Music will celebrate the Rockland campus program’s 75th anniversary.
In the week leading up to commencement day, hooding ceremonies for graduate level divisions, baccalaureate services for undergraduates, and the first pinning and dedication ceremony for graduating nurses will be held at various locations for the Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates.
- The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
- School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
- RELEASE: Nyack's 2015 Golf Classic at Saint Andrew's Golf
- Peter Rohdin: Responding to God's Call
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Nyack/ATS Loses a Dear Friend
- Nyack College Represented in Journal News STEM Education Feature
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Fall 2015 Launch for School of Social Work's New MSW Program at Nyack
- Nursing School Students Volunteer at Walter Hoving Home
- Lauren Lebo, NCAA Division II Lacrosse Champ
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Nyack Clergy Association Hosts a Memorial Service for Charleston Nine
- Nyack's Moseley Field Turns Heliport for New York's Governor
- Nyack Softball Players Make CACC All-Academic Team
- Nyack College Students in National Masterworks Festival Chorus at Carnegie Hall
- New Major at Nyack: BA in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Browse Blog Archive>>