RELEASE: Social Justice Day Features Sean Pica and Honors Rockland County Leaders
Nyack, NY—Nyack College will host its annual Social Justice Day Luncheon at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, January 18, 2013 at The Nyack Seaport, 21 Burd Street in Nyack. This year Nyack’s Social Justice Awards will be presented to three local leaders: Rockland County District Attorney, Thomas Zugibe; SUNY Rockland Board of Trustees Chair, Dr. Arlene W. Clinkscale, and Spring Valley NAACP President, Willie Trotman.
Zugibe leads a staff of 30 prosecutors and is credited with establishing the Special Victims Unit and a countywide expansion of the High School Intervention and Diversion Program.
Clinkscale was re-elected three times to head the SUNY RCC Board has made historic strides in education over the course of her career. She was the first African American educator in the Pearl River school district; the first African American principal in Rockland County; and the first African American female superintendent in the State of New York. Trotman is a member of Rockland County's Human Rights Commission; a co-founder of Kid's Corner Day Care Center; and is a member of several boards and organizations. A Vietnam veteran, Mr. Trotman is the recipient of many honors including the Buffalo Soldiers Award, named after the soldiers of the 10th Black Cavalry Regiment.
Mr. Sean Pica, (pictured above) executive director of the Hudson Link and featured in the award-winning documentary, “Zero Percent,” will be the keynote speaker. For more information about Hudson Link, click here. The 2001 alumnus of Nyack College, has overall strategic and operational responsibility for staff, programs, development, expansion and execution of Hudson Link's mission. Prior to joining Hudson Link, Mr. Pica was the Director of Club Access, a psychosocial clubhouse for adults with mental health disabilities, and a tenant advocate for the James Weldon Housing Projects in East Harlem.
The Social Justice Day Luncheon is a Nyack College tradition that exemplifies the institutional core value of social relevance. This platform gathers bridge-builders in Rockland County who join the campus community in a celebration that serves as a prelude to the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday celebrated this year on Monday, January 21.
For more information, contact Earl Miller, executive director of community relations at Nyack College at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu or by phone at 845.675.4791. For reservations, contact Nancy Gates at 845.675.7237.
About Nyack: Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 3,400 students in its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In addition to its residential campus in Nyack, NY and a commuter campus in New York City, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Browse Blog Archive>>