RELEASE: Social Justice Day Features Sean Pica and Honors Rockland County Leaders
Nyack, NY—Nyack College will host its annual Social Justice Day Luncheon at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, January 18, 2013 at The Nyack Seaport, 21 Burd Street in Nyack. This year Nyack’s Social Justice Awards will be presented to three local leaders: Rockland County District Attorney, Thomas Zugibe; SUNY Rockland Board of Trustees Chair, Dr. Arlene W. Clinkscale, and Spring Valley NAACP President, Willie Trotman.
Zugibe leads a staff of 30 prosecutors and is credited with establishing the Special Victims Unit and a countywide expansion of the High School Intervention and Diversion Program.
Clinkscale was re-elected three times to head the SUNY RCC Board has made historic strides in education over the course of her career. She was the first African American educator in the Pearl River school district; the first African American principal in Rockland County; and the first African American female superintendent in the State of New York. Trotman is a member of Rockland County's Human Rights Commission; a co-founder of Kid's Corner Day Care Center; and is a member of several boards and organizations. A Vietnam veteran, Mr. Trotman is the recipient of many honors including the Buffalo Soldiers Award, named after the soldiers of the 10th Black Cavalry Regiment.
Mr. Sean Pica, (pictured above) executive director of the Hudson Link and featured in the award-winning documentary, “Zero Percent,” will be the keynote speaker. For more information about Hudson Link, click here. The 2001 alumnus of Nyack College, has overall strategic and operational responsibility for staff, programs, development, expansion and execution of Hudson Link's mission. Prior to joining Hudson Link, Mr. Pica was the Director of Club Access, a psychosocial clubhouse for adults with mental health disabilities, and a tenant advocate for the James Weldon Housing Projects in East Harlem.
The Social Justice Day Luncheon is a Nyack College tradition that exemplifies the institutional core value of social relevance. This platform gathers bridge-builders in Rockland County who join the campus community in a celebration that serves as a prelude to the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday celebrated this year on Monday, January 21.
For more information, contact Earl Miller, executive director of community relations at Nyack College at [email protected] or by phone at 845.675.4791. For reservations, contact Nancy Gates at 845.675.7237.
About Nyack: Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 3,400 students in its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In addition to its residential campus in Nyack, NY and a commuter campus in New York City, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>