A Columbian Christmas Celebration
It was a Christmas feast.
A delicious spread of empanadas, yellow rice with vegetables, Peruvian beans, plantano maduro, summer salad, and flan. Each dish evoked the sight, smell, and taste of home for eleven South American pastors who recently enjoyed a farewell Christmas luncheon hosted by Nyack President Michael Scales and Provost Dr. David Turk before their departure for home on December 22.
Here in the States for a fall semester at Nyack College Rockland, the cohort of men and women studied English with instructors Diana Nygard (pictured and seated above center), who taught them grammar and conversation and Rita Roman, who taught two courses, "Pastoral Interaction" and "Read and React."
“Their desire to learn English in our culture and at our college motivated them to work as hard as possible. One of the ongoing assigned activities they enjoyed was conducting interviews in English with people on campus or in the churches they visited.” shared Prof. Nygard.
Because of the humor and camaraderie that reigned in the classes, Prof. Nygard said, “The level of anxiety was low, and the level of confidence, morale, and risk-taking was high! Just laughing and conversing freely has a lot of value in overcoming fear of learning a new language. It was a joy to me to participate in the pastors' progress in English.”
The luncheon held in the office of Nyack president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, was the perfect intimate setting for the pastors who unanimously shared their gratitude to Nyack for their experience which they described as a dream come true.
The churches they pastor range small to large churches of as many as 4,000 people; one is a director of region where 400 churches are under his leadership. Not only were they interested in learning English for personal development, but because so many of their youth are learning English, they have made learning to stay connected with them a priority.
Bravely showing off their newly acquired language skills, their comments related an interest in returning for further studies at Nyack; however, the commonly expressed and preferred vision was for Nyack to establish an extension site in their country. Learning English was a stretch for them, but even moreso being away from their loved ones was not easy.
President Scales assured them of Nyack’s commitment to reach a Spanish-speaking population of students, which is evident in Nyack’s flourishing campus in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He called that educational outreach, “a 21st century version of (Nyack founder) Dr. A.B. Simpson’s dream.”
“I'm glad that Nyack College opened its doors to the pastors from Colombia. The possibilities for exploring the creation of academic and ministerial programs are endless,” added Prof. Nygard. “The relations that we can foster from culture to culture, especially in Christ, are instrumental to doing the will of God.”
- OCT 24-26: Office of Spiritual Formation Hosts Prayer Summit with Dave Powers
- OCT 26: Fall Colloquium at Nyack Rockland on Civic Engagement
- NOV 2-3: Eighth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Education Conference at Alliance Theological Seminary with Dr. Eric Mazur
- Barb Shiffer: Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
- Get Tickets for Nyack's Production of West Side Story!
- Cast Your Vote for Josh and Jaclyn Blanchard!
- Remembering Tryphena Ramcharitar
- Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Service of Remembrance for Social Work Major Utopia Campbell
- ATS Alumna Karen Goff is VP at Agnes Scott College
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Browse Blog Archive>>