Celebrating the Legacy of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) and the Office of Community Relations with Rockland County’s Holocaust Museum and Study Center will present “The Dietrich Bonhoeffer Event at Nyack College on Monday, December 3, 185 South Highland Avenue in Nyack. This celebration of Bonhoeffer’s legacy of Christian scholarship, courage, and social concern will take place with several events in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus.
This daylong event was rescheduled due to the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
The agenda is as follows:
3:00 p.m. The Audio Experience. Shuman Hall, Second Floor Conference Room. This audio presentation will be facilitated by Ms. Lisa Stenchever, education director at the Holocaust Museum and Study Center in Spring Valley, NY (For more information on the Center, visit www.holocauststudies.org). Called “The Hiding,” the audio exhibit allows participants to “listen in” on the conversation of a family in hiding during the Holocaust.
4:00 p.m. Testimony of Mr. Alan Moskin, a World War II veteran and former commander of the Rockland/Orange District Council of the Jewish War Veterans will speak in Presidents Hall (also in Shuman Hall) Moskin was a part of General George Patton’s Third Army, a member of the 66th Infantry, 71st Division. In May 1945, his company helped liberate Gunskirchen concentration camp survivors.
5:00 p.m. The Audio Experience will be repeated. Shuman Hall, Second Floor Conference Room
6:00 p.m. Bonhoeffer, The Film followed by a panel discussion. Shot on location in Germany and the United States, this film features interviews with family members, friends, students, and associates who knew Bonhoeffer, the German theologian renowned for his stand against Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party, which ultimately cost him his life in a Nazi concentration camp.
Panelists are Dr. Ronald Belsterling, Nyack College professor of Youth and Family Studies; Mr. Jaime Castaner Weiss, Allliance Theological Seminary, M.Div candidate; Ms. Lisa Stenchever, Holocaust Museum and Study Center education director. The discussion will be moderated by Dr. Nina Balmaceda, CSGE director.
7:50 p.m. Interfaith Choir performance
For more information, phone Nyack’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement at 845.675.4582.
- RELEASE: Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement 2015
- Spotlight on Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center
- The Beat Goes On...Even at Intermission
- 2016 Global Service-Learning Trips For Nyack Students
- Nyack College Rockland Chorale Spring Concert
- Nyack College Student Research Conference Winners
- Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- Service With a Smile #NyackCityServe
- Pianist Johnny Walsh In Concert on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Music Students Minister at Morristown's Market Street Mission
- ATS Colloquium On State and Religion: The Case of Israel
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Nyack Says Thank You to Community Sponsors
- Nyack...We're Here to Serve!
- Broken To Minister CD Launch Event at NYC Campus
- Browse Blog Archive>>