Academy Award-Winning Director Visits Nyack MSOL Class
Master of Science in Organizational Leadership Professor Al Hundley recently welcomed a special campus guest speaker for his MSOL students--Jonathan Demme, director, filmmaker and producer. Demme is best known for winning the Academy Award for Best Director for the film, “The Silence of the Lambs.”
Mr. Demme engaged the Rockland MSOL students in a film review and discussion about his upcoming documentary “I’m Carolyn Parker: The Good, the Mad, and the Beautiful,” which will air on television in the fall. Dr. Underwood, dean of the School of Business and Leadership shares, “After we reviewed the film, we discussed it and tied it into the course work and the faith and spirituality of the character, Carolyn Parker.”
The documentary follows the life of a resident of the Ninth Ward in New Orleans for a period of five years after Hurricane Katrina. Says Demme of his project, “After Carolyn’s house was flooded and she endeavored to rebuild her home after the waters subsided, I was privileged to gain her permission to keep track of her progress. I didn't know at the time that these filming visits would stretch over the next five years, including 21 visits. Nor did I realize what an amazing portrait of an "ordinary" American would emerge over time. The film changed from a record of reclaiming her home into a documentary about a truly extraordinary woman."
See more on the film here.
- Nyack's School of Education: National Recognition...Times 9
- NYC Student Government Association Presents Black History Month Showcase
- School of Music Invites Faculty and Staff to Join Chorale Performance
- Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
- 2016 New York State Student Aid Advocacy Day
- Rave Review for New Album by Nyack NYC Alumnus Glauco Lima
- Spring Semester 2016 Deeper Life Series With Dr. Stanley John
- Gone Too Soon: Jonathan Perez (NC '09)
- Nyack's School of Social Work and Praxis Connections Partner on Leadership Forums
- Remembering Nyack Professor Emeritus, Dr. Eldon "Woody" Woodcock (1930-2016)
- Empower 2016 Open House
- Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
- Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
- Nyack's Literary Journal, The Fine Print, Announces Submissions Deadline
- January 29-30: Discipleship Conference With Neil Anderson at Nyack
- Nyack School of Music Profs and Alumni in Rockland Camerata Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
- 2016 Nyack Alumni & Friends Phonathon
- RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Basketball Teams Visit Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
- Dr. Elizabeth Swanson Voted a National Collegiate Choral Organization Officer
- Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
- Congratulations to Our December 2015 Graduates!
- Browse Blog Archive>>