Academy Award-Winning Director Visits Nyack MSOL Class
Master of Science in Organizational Leadership Professor Al Hundley recently welcomed a special campus guest speaker for his MSOL students--Jonathan Demme, director, filmmaker and producer. Demme is best known for winning the Academy Award for Best Director for the film, “The Silence of the Lambs.”
Mr. Demme engaged the Rockland MSOL students in a film review and discussion about his upcoming documentary “I’m Carolyn Parker: The Good, the Mad, and the Beautiful,” which will air on television in the fall. Dr. Underwood, dean of the School of Business and Leadership shares, “After we reviewed the film, we discussed it and tied it into the course work and the faith and spirituality of the character, Carolyn Parker.”
The documentary follows the life of a resident of the Ninth Ward in New Orleans for a period of five years after Hurricane Katrina. Says Demme of his project, “After Carolyn’s house was flooded and she endeavored to rebuild her home after the waters subsided, I was privileged to gain her permission to keep track of her progress. I didn't know at the time that these filming visits would stretch over the next five years, including 21 visits. Nor did I realize what an amazing portrait of an "ordinary" American would emerge over time. The film changed from a record of reclaiming her home into a documentary about a truly extraordinary woman."
See more on the film here.
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Browse Blog Archive>>