Nyack Prof Lectures on The Transit of Venus
Nyack College physics professor, Dr. Michael Huster, was the featured lecturer yesterday at the Nyack Library in Rockland County, NY to discuss the planet Venus coming directly between the Sun and the Earth today. The next occurrence will be in the year 2117.
He explained why this event is rare, how it tells us the size of the universe, and how it relates to the search for life. Observation equipment was demonstrated.
Dr. Huster shares the following events and safe ways to experience this phenomenon.
How to Watch the Transit of Venus – June 5, 2012
1) Rockland Astronomy Club sponsoring an event at 5:00 p.m.
Bellvale Farms Creamery, 1390 Rt 17A, Warwick, NY 10990, (845) 988-1818
Directions: From Nyack:
Take 287 West to I-87 North. Exit 15A to New York 17 North about 7 miles. Take NY 17A West about eight miles to the Creamery
2) Amateur Astronomy Association of New York City (http://www.aaa.org/theclub)
Pier I - 70th St and Riverside Park South Dr., New York City, (Jason Kendall will be there with a laptop for a live broadcast.)
Live Internet Broadcast
http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/ - NASA webcast
http://www.exploratorium.edu/venus/ - Exploratorium
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/ - Astronomers Without Borders
2) American Museum of Natural History In New York City starting at 5:30 p.m.
Live broadcast from Mona Kea Hawaii. Included in museum admission fee.
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- Browse Blog Archive>>