Alfonso Wieland of Paz y Esperanza at Nyack
A two-day visit from international human rights activist, Alfonso Wieland of Lima, Peru (pictured far left) was hosted by the Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) for meetings on the Nyack and ATS campuses with students and faculty.
Dr. Nina Balmaceda, CSGE director commented, “I have no doubt that our students and faculty will be challenged and inspired in their own quest to defend the rights of people who suffer oppression, and will learn about Mr. Wieland’s experience defending women and children. We hope that it will be a meaningful time for him as well.”
In his April 25 session, “The Chat,” with students and faculty, he will discuss how Christians can promote values that foster shalom and justice. Mr. Wieland will focus on societal, historical, and religious values that have influenced the tolerance of violence against women and children, and how to shift those values to be more consistent with the Gospel.
The work of Paz y Esperanza, a Latin American human rights organization that operates in Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia, provides holistic services (legal, psychological, pastoral, material, etc.) to women and children victimized by sexual and domestic violence as well as to victims of political violence. This work involves a wide variety of legal work ranging from direct legal representation, assisting the capture and prosecution of aggressors, as well as law reform, advocacy, and training.
Please contact the Center at Center_Scholarship@nyack.edu for more information.
- Nyack's School of Education: National Recognition...Times 9
- NYC Student Government Association Presents Black History Month Showcase
- School of Music Invites Faculty and Staff to Join Chorale Performance
- Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
- 2016 New York State Student Aid Advocacy Day
- Rave Review for New Album by Nyack NYC Alumnus Glauco Lima
- Spring Semester 2016 Deeper Life Series With Dr. Stanley John
- Gone Too Soon: Jonathan Perez (NC '09)
- Nyack's School of Social Work and Praxis Connections Partner on Leadership Forums
- Remembering Nyack Professor Emeritus, Dr. Eldon "Woody" Woodcock (1930-2016)
- Empower 2016 Open House
- Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
- Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
- Nyack's Literary Journal, The Fine Print, Announces Submissions Deadline
- Neil Anderson Conference at Nyack Sold Out!
- January 29-30: Discipleship Conference With Neil Anderson at Nyack
- Nyack School of Music Profs and Alumni in Rockland Camerata Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
- 2016 Nyack Alumni & Friends Phonathon
- RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Basketball Teams Visit Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
- Dr. Elizabeth Swanson Voted a National Collegiate Choral Organization Officer
- Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
- Browse Blog Archive>>