Alfonso Wieland of Paz y Esperanza at Nyack
A two-day visit from international human rights activist, Alfonso Wieland of Lima, Peru (pictured far left) was hosted by the Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) for meetings on the Nyack and ATS campuses with students and faculty.
Dr. Nina Balmaceda, CSGE director commented, “I have no doubt that our students and faculty will be challenged and inspired in their own quest to defend the rights of people who suffer oppression, and will learn about Mr. Wieland’s experience defending women and children. We hope that it will be a meaningful time for him as well.”
In his April 25 session, “The Chat,” with students and faculty, he will discuss how Christians can promote values that foster shalom and justice. Mr. Wieland will focus on societal, historical, and religious values that have influenced the tolerance of violence against women and children, and how to shift those values to be more consistent with the Gospel.
The work of Paz y Esperanza, a Latin American human rights organization that operates in Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia, provides holistic services (legal, psychological, pastoral, material, etc.) to women and children victimized by sexual and domestic violence as well as to victims of political violence. This work involves a wide variety of legal work ranging from direct legal representation, assisting the capture and prosecution of aggressors, as well as law reform, advocacy, and training.
Please contact the Center at Center_Scholarship@nyack.edu for more information.
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Browse Blog Archive>>