Alfonso Wieland of Paz y Esperanza at Nyack
A two-day visit from international human rights activist, Alfonso Wieland of Lima, Peru (pictured far left) was hosted by the Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) for meetings on the Nyack and ATS campuses with students and faculty.
Dr. Nina Balmaceda, CSGE director commented, “I have no doubt that our students and faculty will be challenged and inspired in their own quest to defend the rights of people who suffer oppression, and will learn about Mr. Wieland’s experience defending women and children. We hope that it will be a meaningful time for him as well.”
In his April 25 session, “The Chat,” with students and faculty, he will discuss how Christians can promote values that foster shalom and justice. Mr. Wieland will focus on societal, historical, and religious values that have influenced the tolerance of violence against women and children, and how to shift those values to be more consistent with the Gospel.
The work of Paz y Esperanza, a Latin American human rights organization that operates in Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia, provides holistic services (legal, psychological, pastoral, material, etc.) to women and children victimized by sexual and domestic violence as well as to victims of political violence. This work involves a wide variety of legal work ranging from direct legal representation, assisting the capture and prosecution of aggressors, as well as law reform, advocacy, and training.
Please contact the Center at Center_Scholarship@nyack.edu for more information.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>