Alfonso Wieland of Paz y Esperanza at Nyack
A two-day visit from international human rights activist, Alfonso Wieland of Lima, Peru (pictured far left) was hosted by the Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) for meetings on the Nyack and ATS campuses with students and faculty.
Dr. Nina Balmaceda, CSGE director commented, “I have no doubt that our students and faculty will be challenged and inspired in their own quest to defend the rights of people who suffer oppression, and will learn about Mr. Wieland’s experience defending women and children. We hope that it will be a meaningful time for him as well.”
In his April 25 session, “The Chat,” with students and faculty, he will discuss how Christians can promote values that foster shalom and justice. Mr. Wieland will focus on societal, historical, and religious values that have influenced the tolerance of violence against women and children, and how to shift those values to be more consistent with the Gospel.
The work of Paz y Esperanza, a Latin American human rights organization that operates in Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia, provides holistic services (legal, psychological, pastoral, material, etc.) to women and children victimized by sexual and domestic violence as well as to victims of political violence. This work involves a wide variety of legal work ranging from direct legal representation, assisting the capture and prosecution of aggressors, as well as law reform, advocacy, and training.
Please contact the Center at Center_Scholarship@nyack.edu for more information.
- Official Statement in Response to Media Announced Law Suit
- MA in Mental Health Counseling Online Approved by NYS Education Department
- OCT 17: Fall Fishing
- October 17: Homecoming Block Party!
- Woman: A Rite of Passage Initiation Ceremony Held
- Dr. Mark Nanos Welcomed to Nyack NYC for AJCO Colloquia Series
- Peter Irvine, 2015 School of Business and Leadership Keynote Speaker Coming October 13
- A HOMECOMING HIT! The Running Warrior 3K Walk & 5K Road Race
- Nyack on U.S. News & World Report 2016 Best Colleges Diversity List
- NYC Campus Library Gets a New Name
- The Names by Billy Collins
- ATS Alumnus/Author Dimas Salaberrios, a Fox & Friends Guest
- Homecoming 2015: Nyack Alumni, Prepare to Dine!
- The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
- Forum on Restorative Justice Features Nyack Professor
- Math Prof Conducts Research at Seoul International Christian Academy in Korea
- Inspiration for a New Academic Year at Nyack/ATS
- School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
- Peter Rohdin: Responding to God's Call
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Nyack/ATS Loses a Dear Friend
- Nyack College Represented in Journal News STEM Education Feature
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Browse Blog Archive>>