Student Research Conference at Nyack Rockland
"Health and Science Awareness” was the theme of the first Nyack College Student Research Conference on Thursday, March 29 in Bowman Gymnasium on the Nyack College Rockland County campus. The event was chaired by Dr. Jacqueline Washington head of Nyack’s biology and chemistry department and co-sponsored by the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement directed by Dr. Vilma Balmaceda.
Distinguished plenary speakers were Dr. David Freed, president of Nyack Hospital and Dr. Mark Wade, president of Arise and Walk Ministries Foundation. Commenting about the work of Nyack’s undergraduate presenters, Dr. David Freed of Nyack Hospital commented, “The posters are as good as graduate school work. I’m amazed at how deeply the dove into the topics. This is usually seen at higher levels of education. They really got to all the important touch points.”
Over 85 Nyack students participated in the event and faculty judges reviewed their posters The winners were as follows:
1st place: Vinny Jacopino and Marvin Salvatore (pictured above with Dr. Washington) for "Picture a World Without Color"
2nd place: Kristen Naylor and Joelle Blanck for "Coffee: The Greatest Addiction Ever"
3rd place: Kassondra Ford and Tahira Abdullah for "Harlequen Icthyosis: A Deadly Skin Armor"
Honorable mention went to Chinwe Uchendu for " Awareness of the Silent Killer" and to Jessica Cottings and Nina Muldrow for "The Consequences of Sleep Deprivation.”
Congratulations to the winners and all participants for a successful event!
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>