John Seigenthaler, Sr. Is Nyack's Social Justice Day Speaker
Nyack College’s annual Social Justice Day celebration will be held on Friday, January 13. This year at 12:30 p.m. a luncheon, formerly held in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus, will take place at Nyack Seaport, 21 Burd Street in Nyack. A reception to introduce the luncheon honorees will be held beginning at 11:00 a.m. in the office of Nyack President Michael Scales on the Rockland campus in Shuman Hall.
The 2012 recipients of the Social Justice Day Award include husband and wife, Drs. Edmund and Susan Gordon, founders of the CEJJES Institute in Pomona, a cultural, educational and research foundation dedicated to improving educational and social conditions for all disenfranchised people. Other honorees are the Honorable Ellen Jaffee, 95th District Assemblywoman in Rockland County; and Mr. James F. Kralik, retiring Rockland County Sheriff.
Keynote speaker for this prelude to celebrating the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, will be veteran journalist John Seigenthaler, Sr. (pictured above). Mr. Seigenthaler, who founded the First Amendment Center in Nashville, is a former president of the American Society of Newspaper Editors, who served for 43 years as an award-winning journalist for The Tennessean, a Nashville morning newspaper. At his retirement he was editor, publisher, and CEO of the publication and is now chairman emeritus. In 1982, Seigenthaler became founding editorial director of USA TODAY and served in that position for a decade, retiring from both the Nashville and national newspapers in 1991.
A former Nieman Fellow at Harvard University, he served for two decades as a member of the Nieman Advisory Board. In the early 1960s, Mr. Seigenthaler served in the U.S. Justice Department as special assistant to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, which led to his role as chief negotiator with the governor of Alabama during the Freedom Rides.
Today, Seigenthaler hosts a weekly book-review program, "A Word On Words." A senior advisory trustee of the Freedom Forum, he is chair of the Robert F. Kennedy Book Awards for the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights and chairman emeritus of the annual Profile in Courage Award selection committee of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation. Seigenthaler is a member of the Constitution Project on Liberty and Security, created after the 9/11 tragedies, and served on the eighteen-member National Commission on Federal Election Reform organized in 2001 by former Presidents Carter and Ford.
For more information on this event, contact Earl Miller, executive director of community relations at Nyack College at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu or by phone at 845.675.4791.
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Daniela Guirola (NC '15) Gives Music Project Proceeds to Guatemalan Non-Profit
- Lynette Rhett, Nyack NYC Student Releases CD--Come Jesus Come
- Browse Blog Archive>>