Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
Once again we are asking that prayers resume for Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico (STPR), our campus family in Puerto Rico, as Hurricane Maria threatens to make landfall there today and tomorrow.
We know that STPR Executive Director, Dr. Julio Aponte, other campus leaders and student would appreciate the prayer covering.
Thank you for remembering them in prayer as well as their families and friends throughout your day.
EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
This past Saturday, September 16, the Rockland County campus of Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary buzzed with excitement as the sixth year of Empower, a seven-month certificate program for women kicked off its 2017-2018 year of study. With the program’s articulation agreement between the C&MA Metro District and Nyack/ATS, students earn six credits towards a earning a degree at Nyack College or Alliance Theological Seminary. Empower equips and motivates the personal spiritual formation of women as they navigate the various roles and commitments in their lives. Classes are held monthly from September through April with a weekend retreat in January.
“We are delighted to launch another session of Empower with over 130 women in the three tracks,” commented the program’s director, Dr. Wanda Walborn. The three modules are Empower 1, the pre-requisite for Empower Engage (training for mentors) and Empower Proclaim that coaches women in their public speaking skills as they teach and preach as well as share stories and testimonies.
In addition to women who travel from the Tri-State New York area, Pennsylvania and Ohio, a growing number participate via livestream from their homes in California, Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Mentoring is provided for both classroom and livestreaming students in small groups held the last two hours of the day that runs from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
The September Empower 1 session included teaching by “Understanding the Old Testament” by Dr. Linda Warren; “Cultivating a Listening Ear” and "Prayer Model," by Dr. Wanda Walborn. “Listening to God for Questions & Activating Prophetic Listening,” was the focus of Empower Engage for mentors conducted by Mrs. Lisa Plunket and Mrs. Kim Valenzuela.
Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
In Shuman Hall on the residential campus of Nyack College, the eighth cohort of Woman: the Rite of Passage, held its initiation ceremony on Sunday, September 17. Senior undergraduate students were welcomed to a year of exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation.
The program was founded by Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah and was inspired in part by her doctoral dissertation. Her first book, The Book of Womanhood, (Cascade Publishers) is the text used for the program. She is joined by a leadership team that includes Rockland campus Dean of Students Wanda Velez, Christie Hall Resident Director Heather Butcher, doctoral student Mariela Henry, and Dorm Area Coordinator Yolanda Morgan—all alumnae of Nyack College and/or ATS. Thirteen mentors serve the mentees and support the leadership team.
Sunday’s celebratory event gave each student an opportunity to share why she enrolled in the program. Exhortation and prayer from the leadership team and mentors was followed by a tea reception, where each young woman received a personally autographed copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book and a unique porcelain tea cup and saucer.
Reflecting on this year's class, Dr. Davis Abdallah stated, "These women are prepared for the challenge of this journey, and the mentors are strong to walk beside them. Even this first night, the first time many of them met, they didn't want to leave the room. They wanted to linger over the beauty of the evening and to drink in the excitement of this process. Every class is different and we look forward to both their transformation and ours!"
Learn more about Woman.
Photo credit: Andres Valenzuela
SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
The Nyack College Writing Center and The Fine Print, (Nyack's literary journal) will host its first 2017-2018 Get Creative event—“The Write Down” on Thursday, September 21 beginning at 9:15 p.m. in President's Hall (Shuman Hall) on the Rockland County campus. Fine Print contributors will be featured presenters.
Refreshments will be served.
All are welcome!
SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
The Office of Spiritual Formation is excited to welcome Deeper Life Series guest speaker Stephen Fowler, who has been lead pastor at Salem Alliance Church in Salem, OR since 2009.
Deeper Life chapel services will be held Monday, September 18 at 10:05 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.; Tuesday, September 19 at 8:00 p.m.; Wednesday, September 20 at 10:05 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. in Pardington Hall on the Nyack Rockland County campus.
Pastor Fowler was born in Hong Kong where his parents served as missionaries with The Christian and Missionary Alliance. He attended the Dalat Boarding School in Penang, Malaysia, and later attended Simpson College (now Simpson University), which at that time was located in San Francisco, CA. Steve earned his Master of Ministry degree from Simpson University in 2002.
He was employed by United Parcel Service (UPS) in California for nine years. It was while working for Luhr-Jensen, the Hood River, Oregon-based manufacturer of fishing lures and accessories, that God called him into full-time ministry. For seven years, he served as senior pastor at East Hills Alliance Church in Kelso, WA and later served at an international church plant in Hong Kong. Following his service abroad, he returned to the U.S. in 2005 to become Outreach Pastor at Salem Alliance Church.
Steve has been married for 33 years, has four grown children and four grandchildren. Steve loves his family and golfing, reading and anything outdoors—and he also loves fishing.
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Browse Blog Archive>>