School of Education News
Rejuvenating First Departmental Chapel, Fall 2013
“In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
Thanks for God’s work in our lives and in our schoolwork was the theme for the 2013 opening departmental chapel for the School of Education on September 23. The service was filled with testimony of thanksgiving for God’s love and provision toward us.
Dr. Jarrett opened with a warm welcome, and introduced Maria Varano, an Early Childhood-Childhood Education major, to offer a prayer for the service. Dr. Looney expressed her excitement about beginning a new school year, and introduced all the faculty and staff present at the chapel service. This was followed by an inspiring time of worship led by Samantha Howard and Martine Sainvil, Childhood Education and Early Childhood Education majors, respectively.
A highlight of the service was testimony by three education students. Rachel Fort, a Childhood-Childhood Special Education major, shared how God miraculously provided for her finances for college this year. James Batton, an Adolescence Math Education major, gave a thrilling account of how God saved his life following severe sports injuries and brought him to Nyack College. Amanda Halter, an Adolescence English Education major, offered the story of how God showed His love through the faculty and students in the School of Education while she was recuperating from a sports injury. All testimonies pointed to God’s provision while walking in faith before Him.
Professor Luba took time to explain the new New York State testing requirements for teacher certification. She explained how the new requirements will affect all current students who are in the School of Education program. She directed all students’ attention to the New York State Teacher Certification website, http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/, and to our School of Education website, http://www.nyack.edu/content/EDUExplore, for more information.
Dr. Jarrett shared a verse from Song of Solomon 8:6 – “Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm.” She said that is how God holds us close to His heart, and is with us in all we go through at school this year.
Anel Vicente, an Early Childhood-Childhood Education major, closed the service in prayer with a focus on listening to God for what He has for us this year.
- Lessons Learned while Teaching in India
- Blessings from the Dominican Republic
- Dr. Marie White to Present at SEYS Research Symposium at Queens College October 22
- School of Education Homecoming Dinner
- School of Education Students Take the Lead!
- Dr. JoAnn Looney Appointed to NYACTE Board of Directors
- Summer 2014 Update on State Certification Tests
- NYC SOE Team Signs on as Board Members with the CAUSE
- High School Students Visit with Teacher Alyssa Rice-Cruz, Nyack NYC Alumna
- NYC Writing Center Offers ALST Workshop for School of Education Teacher Candidates
- Change to the edTPA requirement
- Annual School of Education Annual Awards Dinner
- SOE Majors Present in CSGE Student Research Conference
- Kara Fulop of GoodSports International and LOGOS Language School of Hungary Visits SOE
- Student Behavior Management Webinar Held in the Ed Lab
- Browse Blog Archive>>