Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Arts & Sciences Welcomes and Celebrates Student Success
We are pleased to announce that the Division of Student Success will now join the College of Arts and Sciences!
The mission of the College of Arts and Sciences is to provide students with a liberal arts education which will serve as a foundation for the pursuit of lifelong learning, ethical living, and a successful career. The fundamental goal of the Division of Student Success is to help students identify their strengths and point them in the direction for success.
Dr. Fernando Arzola Jr., Dean of Arts & Sciences and Dr. Gwen Parker Ames, Associate Dean of the Division of Student Success are excited about this partnership as they believe it will help to enhance our academic support services to the Nyack College students.
The Division of Student Success was able to obtain for Nyack College a five year HEOP (2014-2019) grant for the Rockland campus in June. The Rockland campus will welcome 25 HEOP first year students this fall. The new allocation will boast the total number of HEOP students at Rockland to 62.
In addition the New York City campus was also awarded HEOP funding for (2014-2019). Nyack College was the only HEOP participating college within the state of New York to receive additional funding for another campus site.
Highlights of the HEOP funding for 2014-2019 include
Math Success Initiative that will encourage complete math remediation by beginning of HEOP student second college year; to provide professional tutoring and departmental networking with college faculty to ensure success in required college level math courses. Deborah Spivey, Lecturer in Developmental Education, will lead this initiative.
Allocation of funds to support research partnerships between faculty and HEOP students in an effort to encourage strong research skills and graduate school admissions as well as preparation for the world of work. This initiative will be executed through partnership with Dr. Vilma Balmeceda, Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement.
Developmental Education Teaching Faculty for 2014-2015
Deborah Spivey, Foundations of Algebra (NYC & Rockland)
James Carrington, Math Essentials (NYC)
Gina Jacob Strain, Academic Life Skills (NYC & Rockland)
Nathaniel Perez, Academic Life Skills (Rockland)
Denise Patrick, Fundamentals of Writing, Critical Thinking (NYC)
Joan Wilkins, Foundations of Literature, Academic Life Skills (NYC & Rockland)
Joseph Matar, Fundamentals of Writing (NYC)
Hector Lino, Academic Life Skills (NYC)
Kevin Keisal, Fundamental of Writing and Intermediate Writing (Rockland)
Susie Tolaio, Critical Thinking, Foundations of Literature and Introduction to College Reading (Rockland)
For more information of the Division of Student Success:
- Fourth Annual Student Research Conference
- Dr. Romaine to deliver keynote address at The Schoenhals Sumposium
- Dr. Kaluka publishes article in Biochemistry journal
- Congratulations on A&S Faculty Promotions
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Yu
- Percie McLain joins A&S as Administrative Coordinator
- Dr. Park initiates Nyack College Fishing Club
- Dr. Yu publishes review in Sociology of Religion
- Dr. Park joins BIOL-O-GEE R.A.P. TEAM
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Browse Blog Archive>>