Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Dr. Romaine Co-edits Art History Text
Dr. James Romaine, Associate Professor of Art History, publishes ReVisioing: Critical Methods of Seeing Christianity in the History of Art (Cascade Books, 2014). This anthology of seventeen essays explores the applications of art historical methodologies to the history of Christianity and the visual arts. Over the last two decades, there has been a growing scholarly interest in the rich and diverse history of Christianity and the visual arts. ReVisioning provides strategies for a renewed seeing of this history.
Review"Romaine and Stratford's collection raises the question of how methodologies of art history--formulated within the secular context of modern academe--have failed and succeeded at understanding the Christian content of works of art. The question becomes urgent when the artworks under examination are also from the modern period and thus suffer from the doubling of denial of Christian content, but the collection is also enriched by material from earlier periods of art.''
''ReVisioning delivers on the nuanced promise in its subtitle; it sustains intellectual sophistication while it revises, reconsiders, and reimagines the rich threads in the fabric of critical Christianity. The more than fifteen thoughtful essays venture courageously into the space within academe too often dismissed, suppressed, or maligned--that is to say, the space of the sacred. . . . Its essays, spanning the history of artistic production from the medieval to the moderns in a mix of fresh, critical perspectives, go a long way to restore the relevance of mystery, transcendence, and dare it be said, the sacred, to what I hope is an ongoing conversation on theological aesthetics. ReVisioning is a courageous and long-overdue stake in the ground.''
--Ronald R. Bernier, Wentworth Institute of Technology
- Dr. Kaluka publishes article in Biochemistry journal
- Congratulations on A&S Faculty Promotions
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Yu
- Percie McLain joins A&S as Administrative Coordinator
- Dr. Park initiates Nyack College Fishing Club
- Dr. Yu publishes review in Sociology of Religion
- Dr. Park joins BIOL-O-GEE R.A.P. TEAM
- Division of Student Success Awarded Certification
- Dr. Poston and Pamela Code explore death, religion and science
- Dr. Pinkham delivers paper and publishes review
- Dr. Greaves explores Hip Hop culture in Diaspora
- Student Success adjunct selected for writing Best Teen Book
- Dr. Lux publishes essay in volume on Luther
- Dr. Poston publishes review
- A&S well represented in Class Act
- Browse Blog Archive>>