Nyack College Arts and Sciences News
Prof. Cid to deliver inaugural 2013-2014 Men of Letters lecture
MEN OF LETTERS
Thursday, September 26 at 5:15pm - Room 2033 (Dean’s Office)
Can Scienctific Theories Withstand the Test of Time?
Alfredo Cid Ph.D.(c)
Lecturer in Philosophy
Scientific realism is a positive claim about the content of our scientific theories and models, which recommends that we believe in both observable and unobservable aspects of the world. A formidable rival is the pessimistic meta-induction argument. Based on empirical premises, it cuts at the knees of scientific realism suggesting that as scientific knowledge develops, all past and present theories will eventually be rejected for newer and better ones. Prof. Cid will explain, identifying the challenges and opportunities of this debate.
- Dr. Poston publishes two book reviews
- Dr. Arzola publishes anthology
- Alpha Chi Honor Society Rockland Chapter inducts 21 new members
- Dr. Lux publishes article on narrative theory
- Dr. Dueck publishes on religious exclusivism & diversity
- The Fine Print is Released!
- Dr. Arzola Lectures at Nyack Public Library for Poetry Month
- Dr. Romaine publishes essay in ArtWay
- Dr. Park lectures at Battery Park City Parks Conservancy
- Dr. Washington & Dr. Park Recognized as NAE Fellows
- Social Work partners with alternative-to-incarceration youth program
- Dr. Balmaceda leads discussion on mothers in prison
- Dr. Huster initiates Physics of Waves & Sound
- Dr. Arzola lectures on Pablo Neruda
- Social Work hosts "The New Jim Crow" discussion
- Browse Blog Archive>>