The Social Work Major is open to qualified students who have liberal arts backgrounds and who are committed to developing professional social work knowledge, values and skills.
A student electing the Social Work Major must qualify for regular admission to the College. However, admission to Nyack College does not guarantee admission to the Social Work major.
Criteria for admission to the Social Work Major are:
1. Academic achievement that includes:
a) Completion of a substantial portion (approximately 50 credit hours) of the Nyack College core curriculum and most prerequisites.
b) A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
2. Submission of departmental application
3. Emotional stability to deal with emotional stress in himself/herself as well as in others.
4. Intellectual capacity to think conceptually and analytically.
5. Physical health and vigor that provide energy to handle a rigorous academic schedule and field practicum.
Application Materials & Deadlines
Students should apply early in the spring of their sophomore year. The application deadline is March 1, 2012. There is no admission to the Social Work major for the spring semester.
Please submit applications to:
Percelene McClain (NYC Campus) Dr. Carol Awasu (Rockland Campus)
361 Broadway – Rm. 415 1 South Boulevard
New York, NY 10013 Betty Knopp Bldg. – Rm. 1A
Nyack, NY 10960-3698
Application Decision and Notifications
The applicant’s file will be reviewed by a designated Social Work faculty member. The faculty member may request additional information or/and an interview with the student for more information. The applicant will be notified by the Social Work Department of the faculty’s decision in writingby May 1st.