B.M. Gospel Music Performance
The Bachelor of Music in Gospel Music Performance offers students the opportunity to pursue a degree which is not only focused in Gospel Music but which includes a strong biblical, academic, and musical foundation for its specialization. Performance degrees represent the highest standards of professional studies, including the history, theory, and practice of many genres of music, from classical to jazz. The inclusion of Gospel Music as a Performance major at Nyack College reflects not only our deep respect for the genre, but our desire to prepare our students to be complete musicians, able to minister effectively and perform globally in this inspiring field.
- Students who study Gospel Music Performance will have access to some of the finest Gospel venues and artists in the world, including some who are on our faculty.
- Students will enjoy a valuable academic program which will give them versatility and opportunity in their future graduate program or career choices.
- Students will be nurtured in a Christian atmosphere in which they will find encouragement on their way to fulfillment.
- Students will have an opportunity to explore and perform many types of music and to study with top scholars within the context of a State-accredited private institution.
- Students will make lifelong friends and important interconnections in the world of music in general and Gospel music in particular.
As a Gospel Performance Major, you will study the communication skills and vocal, instrumental, or keyboard skills which will enable you to have a long and fruitful career in your chosen field. Together with your Nyack Core Curriculum, you will also study the history, methods, and practice of Gospel worship and performance practice, including:
- Music Theory
- Music History (including Gospel Music History)
- Worship Leading
- Private lessons in your instrument or voice
- Gospel Improvisation (private lessons)
- Jazz/Gospel Harmony
- Music Business
- Music Technology
- Field Experience (Internship)
Additionally, you will travel and perform with elite music ensembles.
Students graduating with a BM Degree in Gospel Music Performance may be employed as solo or studio recording artists, studio technicians, church music ministers, graduate students in Performance or other related music areas, Christian entertainers, music journalists and reviewers, and in many other exciting and developing careers, especially as the degree is a new one and one with a high level of interest and demand worldwide.
Nyack College, New York City has a high percentage of working musicians among its graduates. A number have gone on to higher education in reputed graduate institutions and conservatories. Several of our graduates have a worldwide touring career in Gospel music as well as in classical music. Some are music ministers at respected local churches; some have gone on to teach in State and private schools. Our graduates have shown the value of a versatile and creative Music program and continue to make us proud.