The Bachelor of Music in Composition offers students the opportunity to pursue a degree while honing their skills in music writing. As in the case of every major, Composition has a strong Biblical, academic, and theoretical foundation. The Bachelor of Music degree represents the highest standards of professional studies, including the history, theory, pedagogy and practice of many genres of music.
- Students who study Composition will have access to some of the finest venues and artists in the world, including current faculty.
- Students will enjoy a valuable academic program which will give them versatility and opportunity in their future graduate program or career choices.
- Students will be nurtured in a Christian atmosphere in which they will find encouragement on their way to fulfillment.
- Students will have an opportunity to explore and perform many types of music and to study with top scholars within the context of a State-accredited private institution.
- Students will be inspired by the commissioned works of a world-famous Artist-in-Residence in Composition, Dr. Victoria Bond.
- Students will make lifelong friends and important interconnections in the world of music in general and composition in particular.
As a Composition Major, you will learn to write for voice, instruments, and keyboard. Together with your Nyack Core Curriculum, you will also study the history, methods, and practice of Composition, including:
- Music History
- Music Theory
- Private lessons in Voice, Guitar, Piano, Recorder, or another instrument
- Music Technology
- Music Ensembles
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to do a Senior Recital of your own compositions, of approximately one hour in length
Students graduating with a BM Degree in Composition may have careers as arrangers, composers, conductors, or solo/ensemble artists, depending upon their major instrument. Graduates with the BM in Composition Degree may be able to continue into graduate school.
Our graduates have shown the value of a versatile and creative Music program and continue to make us proud. Our composition majors are strong performers in their own right and we encourage them to stretch their boundaries and self-expectancy in their own field. Our Composition Graduates are working in the following fields and many more, some having continued for advanced degrees in Composition:
- Private Music Teacher
- Choir and Chamber Music Composer
- Church Music Director and Composer
- College Professor
- Graduate Student
- General Music Classroom Teacher