LIVE.0 Online Tutoring: Changing the Way You Learn
- The goal of LIVE.0 is to provide a virtual platform that encourages and expands the accessibility of tutoring services for both commuters and students with physical disabilities.
- Online tutoring will be provided for all courses offered by the Tutoring Center with the exception of Music Courses.
- Certified Peer Tutors will be leading the Online Tutoring sessions.
- Students can sign up for online tutoring sessions by indicating so on the tutor request forms.
- It is a virtual platform where they can meet with a tutor one-on-one or in group sessions.
- It is recommended that they have access to a computer equipped with a microphone and webcam.
- To continuously improve online tutoring services, students will be asked to complete a short evaluation about the services they receive upon completion of their LIVE.0 session.
- LIVE.0 will operate with the use of two Apps: Google Hangout and IDroo online whiteboard.
*Mobile devices can be used; however, it may hinder the interaction of both Apps.
The goal of online tutoring is to provide the availability for students to meet with their peer tutors using google hangout and Idroo. If you do not have access to a computer that has a microphone or webcam then it will be impossible for you to receive online tutoring.
Online Tutoring will only be provided to Commuter Students at both the Rockland and Manhattan campuses, as well as to students with physical disabilities.
- Student will log into their Nyack College Google accounts at their scheduled session time.
- Select Google+ and then select Hangouts.
- Tutors will then start a Google Hangout tutor session with student at the time of their appointment
- Tutors will share the link for IDroo with the student using Google Hangout Chat
- Tutors and Students will now be able to interact using both video chat and online whiteboard
- All Google Hangout sessions must be done through the Nyack College Google accounts.
- Tutors and students are allowed to be in their rooms during sessions, but at their desks.
- Tutors and students must adhere to Nyack College’s dress code during tutoring sessions.
- Tutors and students are allowed to use headphones.
- It is recommended to have a computer mouse for easier writing/drawing on IDroo (not mandatory).
- Tutors are required to train their tutees on how to use the online tutoring. The Center will also assist.
- Sessions can only be done during regular Tutor Center hours.
- Online tutoring is available to commuters and students with physical disabilities.
- If any of these rules are violated by the student, they can lose their online tutoring privilege.
- If a tutor fails to comply with these rules, he/she can lose their job as a tutor.
- IDroo is an innovative tool where tutors can easily create an online classroom.
- It will be the online whiteboard for LIVE.0
- Tutors and students can easily write in real time on the whiteboards
- Information needs to be written down or solved on the spot
- Boards can be shared to student to review notes from previous tutoring sessions
- Sessions can be saved and continue where last ended
- Google Hangouts will be used as the visual interface between tutor and student. It allows tutors to create a Circle of students for both individual and group sessions. Commuter students can now have access to the Tutoring Services without having to leave the comfort of their own homes.