NY State Certification Test Update (3/2/12)
This month the New York State Board of Regents approved the postponement of the change in certification exams by one year, but the adoption of this change in certification regulations will not be approved until later this year. In the meantime, the Board has posted the anticipated changes as summarized below. You can access the full text at: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/certexamsl2012.html
Anticipated requirements for qualified candidates who apply for a certificate on or before April 30, 2014 (Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors):
- Current Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST) - for admission to School of Education
- Current Assessment of Teaching Skills-Written (ATS-W) - for admission to student teaching
- Current/ NEW! Content Specialty Test (CST) - for admission to student teaching; an implementation timetable for the new CST is not yet known, but you will be able to take the old version until the new version is offered
Since these are still being used by NYS, you will need to take the state’s official versions! Go to www.nystce.nesinc.com to register. The next test administration date is in April, but the registration deadline is in a week or two.
- Sophomores, take the official LAST for admission to the School of Education for entry to methods classes this Fall.
- Juniors/Seniors, take the official ATS-W and CST for admission to student teaching for Fall 2012 or Spring 2013.
Anticipated requirements for candidates graduating or applying for a certificate on or after May 1, 2014 (Freshmen/some Sophomores):
NEW! Academic Literacy Skills Test - for admission to School of Education
NEW! Educating All Students test - for admission to student teaching
NEW! Content Specialty Test (CST) - for admission to student teaching
NEW! Teacher Performance Assessment - a videotape portfolio during student teaching