Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance
The Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance offers students the opportunity to pursue a degree which is focused upon historical and contemporary classical piano music and which may include studies of the music of Jazz. As in the case of every major, Piano Performance has a strong biblical, academic, and theoretical foundation. Performance degrees represent the highest standards of professional studies, including the history, theory, pedagogy and practice of many genres of music.
- Students who study Piano Performance will have access to some of the finest venues and artists in the world, including some who are on our faculty.
- Students will enjoy a valuable academic program which will give them versatility and opportunity in their future graduate program or career choices.
- Students will be nurtured in a Christian atmosphere in which they will find encouragement on their way to fulfillment.
- Students will have an opportunity to explore and perform many types of music and to study with top scholars within the context of a State-accredited private institution.
- Students will make lifelong friends and important interconnections in the world of music in general and piano music in particular.
As a Piano Performance Major, you will study the communication skills and the keyboard skills which will enable you to have a long and fruitful career in your chosen field. Together with your Nyack Core Curriculum, you will also study the history, methods, and practice of piano performance, including:
- Music History
- Music Theory
- Private lessons in Piano
- Piano Pedagogy (how to teach Piano)
- Music Technology
- Chamber Music
Additionally, you will perform with elite music ensembles and you will be required to do a Junior Recital of approximately one-half hour in length and a Senior Recital of approximately one hour in length.
Students graduating with a BM Degree in Piano Performance may be employed as solo or studio recording artists, church music ministers, graduate students in Performance, private teachers, or studio accompanists. The Degree enables them to go on to graduate school.
Nyack College, New York City has a high percentage of working musicians among its graduates in piano, voice, and instrumental fields. A number have gone on to higher education in reputed graduate institutions and conservatories. Several of our graduates have a worldwide touring career. Some are music ministers at respected local churches; some teach in State and private colleges. Our graduates have shown the value of a versatile and creative Music program and continue to make us proud.
Prof. Margrit Julia Zimmerman, Artist in Residence
Prof. Margrit Zimmerman is a performing concert artist whose rich experience includes attaining advanced degrees from Moscow Conservatory and traveling throughout the world as a solo and collaborative pianist, who has justly been called a “poet of the piano.” As impressive as her credentials are, Prof. Margrit is loved because of her love for Christ and Nyack’s music students. Like many of our faculty, she never stops giving back from the rich store God has given her as she performs and teaches both solo and collaborative piano.