Bachelor of Music in Composition
The Bachelor of Music in Composition offers students the opportunity to pursue a degree while honing their skills in music writing. As in the case of every major, Composition has a strong biblical, academic, and theoretical foundation. The Bachelor of Music degree represents the highest standards of professional studies, including the history, theory, pedagogy and practice of many genres of music.
- Students who study Composition will have access to some of the finest venues and artists in the world, including some who are on our faculty.
- Students will enjoy a valuable academic program which will give them versatility and opportunity in their future graduate program or career choices.
- Students will be nurtured in a Christian atmosphere in which they will find encouragement on their way to fulfillment.
- Students will have an opportunity to explore and perform many types of music and to study with top scholars within the context of a State-accredited private institution.
- Students will be inspired by the commissioned works of a world-famous Artist in Residence in Composition, Dr. Victoria Bond.
- Students will make lifelong friends and important interconnections in the world of music in general and composition in particular.
As a Composition Major, you will learn to write for voice, instruments, and keyboard. Together with your Nyack Core Curriculum, you will also study the history, methods, and practice of Composition, including:
- Music History
- Music Theory
- Private lessons in Voice, Guitar, Piano, Recorder, or another instrument
- Music Technology
- Music Ensembles
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to do a Senior Recital of your own compositions, of approximately one hour in length
Students graduating with a BM Degree in Composition may have careers as arrangers, composers, conductors, or solo/ensemble artists, depending upon their major instrument. Graduates with the BM in Composition Degree may be able to continue into graduate school.
Nyack College, New York City has a high percentage of working musicians among its graduates. A number have gone on to higher education in reputed graduate institutions and conservatories. Several of our graduates have a worldwide touring career. Some are music ministers at respected local churches; some teach in State and private schools. Our graduates have shown the value of a versatile and creative Music program and continue to make us proud. Our composition majors are strong performers in their own right and we encourage them to stretch their boundaries and self-expectancy in their own field.
Profs. Chris Hughes, Jon Werking; Artist in Residence, Victoria Bond
Three professors together represent the Composition faculty. Prof. Jon teaches Songwriting, and Professor Hughes teach composition and arranging. Each is a fine composer in his own right. Prof. Jon Werking is an accomplished pianist specializing in the Jazz idiom and teaches popular classes in Songwriting. Finally, Prof. Chris Hughes has arranged a great deal of music and is known for his tremendous skill in the Percussion and Jazz fields. Together, these faculty members present a balanced and very competent Composition faculty.
In addition to these teaching faculty, our Artist in Residence in Composition, Dr. Victoria Bond, provides inspiration and consultation, as well as works especially commissioned for Nyack College.