School of Social Work Students Attend Student Advocacy Day on the Hill
Posted by Juan.Toribio on Thursday March 3, 2016
Eighteen students from the Nyack College School of Social Work travelled to Washington DC to attend Student Advocacy Day on the Hill. The goal of the event was to discuss how policy is shaped and learn the critical issues that affect the social work profession. This year's event focused on H.R. 3712, the Improving Access to Mental Health Act of 2015. Social workers are the largest group of mental health service providers (over 200,000 nationwide). Federal law recognizes social work as one of the core mental health professions, yet Medicare reimburses social workers at a lower rate than the 85% reimbursement that other non-physician practitioners (eg. physical therapist and occupational therapist) receive. The Improving Access to Mental Health Act if 2015/HR allows licensed social workers to receive the same Medicare reimbursement as other non-physician practitioners.
Students had the pleasure and honor of meeting with Congressman Jose Serrano. They shared compelling stories and asked Rep. Serrano to cosponsor The Improving Access to Mental Health Act of 2015/ H.R.3712 and he agreed! Students were empowered by the impact that they could have on legislation, so much so that they are already planning next year's trip to Student Advocacy Day on the Hill.
Department of Social Work
- An MSW Student Shares on the Importance of Supervision
- Together, Rising.
- Nyack MSW Making an Impact in Pacific Northwest
- Follow Your Heart :: A MSW Student Shares Her Thoughts
- New Director, MSW Program
- Seminar in Field Instruction (SIFI) Course
- Praxis Forum in Action
- The School of Social Work Launches Juvenile Justice Fellowship Grant
- Alumni Update: Lebeka Shin
- Lobby Advocacy Day Experience by Belinda Lin
- Welcoming Professor Laura Summerhill
- FPWA Advocacy Experience
- School of Social Work Students Attend Student Advocacy Day on the Hill
- NYC Teen Dating Violence Awareness Walk
- Snapshots of Our Emerging Leaders Praxis Forum Dinner
- The Nyack School of Social Work Co-Sponsors Emerging Leaders Praxis Forum Dinner
- Media Contest
- 2009 BSW Graduate: Elaina Wood -- Alumni Spotlight
- Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith
- "Sabbath As Resistance" - October 30, 2014
- Three Upcoming Events - Fall 2014
- New York City Department of Social Work Host Discussion on "The New Jim Crow"
- Nyack SWO Hosts VET2MENTOR Event
- Humphreys and Roland Present at NACSW
- Dr. Lopez-Humphreys Co-Authors Countering the Silence
- Browse Blog Archive>>