Praxis Forum in Action
The School of Social Work Launches Juvenile Justice Fellowship Grant
Alumni Update: Lebeka Shin
Lebeka Shin is a 2007 graduate of the School of Social Work, she is currently an individual and family therapist specializing anger, trauma, anxiety and mood disorders, attachment issues, and grief and loss.
I am currently working at Spofford Home, as an outpatient therapist providing trauma-informed play therapy for children and families. Sponsored Homes is an agency that works with mostly lower-income disenfranchised families in Kansas City. I am hoping to connect with an international adoption agency here in Kansas City and also provide post-adoption therapy services.
I love that social work is interdisciplinary in nature. We not only look at a client from an individual perspective, but critically think about the environmental factors that affect the individual. As I work with clients on an individual level, I am constantly thinking about the environmental factors and the role it plays in the client’s life.
The highlights of Nyack College's BSW program include the small class sizes, the accessibility of the professors and the fact that students and faculty alike are actively involved in bringing about social change even outside of the classroom setting. The small class sizes allowed me to develop close friendships with my fellow students, whom I still keep in touch with today.
Lobby Advocacy Day Experience by Belinda Lin
Martin Luther King Jr. believed that, “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” This quote caught my eye as I was leaving the New York State Capitol. Through studying the history of our country that is steeped in social oppression and systematic discrimination, I have become keenly aware of how the actions or inactions of each individual greatly effects the society as a whole. Problems that we believe aren’t worth a second of our time eventually catches our attention when it involves our children, our spouse, or our parents, simply speaking, when it hits close to home. The Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies’ Advocacy Day brought policy to life for me, it was an invitation for me as an individual to get involved in something greater than myself. My revelation from this whole experience is that my minuscule contributions, my humble stories, and my ordinary words have the potential to change lives, both inside and outside of the government walls. Although advocates are just one piece of the puzzle, they play a significant role amplifying the voices of many. Advocacy day reminded me that those in the social services field need to work in unison in order to effectively bring about lasting change. Everyone has a role to play, whether it is becoming an advocate, initiating social justice campaigns, voting for government officials, writing letters to legislators, or simply speaking up for someone you see being treated unjustly. What are you waiting for? Act now.
Belinda Lin -- MSW Candidate Nyack College
Welcoming Professor Laura Summerhill
Dr. Laura Summerhill received her MSW from Columbia University and her MS Ed in Special Education from Bank Street College of Education. Currently, she is a doctoral candidate (ABD), in Clinical Social Worker at New York University's Silver School of Social Work.
Her research interests include attitudes about inter-country adoption, ethnic identity in trans-racial adoptees, and clinical issues in adoption and social work education. Laura has provided social work services within many contexts, including: mental health clinics, correctional facilities, adoption agencies and private practice. She has taught as a social work educator for seven years in undergraduate and graduate programs. We proudly welcome her and pray her time with us will be enriching to both her and our MSW students.
- Praxis Forum in Action
- The School of Social Work Launches Juvenile Justice Fellowship Grant
- Alumni Update: Lebeka Shin
- Lobby Advocacy Day Experience by Belinda Lin
- Welcoming Professor Laura Summerhill
- FPWA Advocacy Experience
- School of Social Work Students Attend Student Advocacy Day on the Hill
- NYC Teen Dating Violence Awareness Walk
- Snapshots of Our Emerging Leaders Praxis Forum Dinner
- The Nyack School of Social Work Co-Sponsors Emerging Leaders Praxis Forum Dinner
- Media Contest
- 2009 BSW Graduate: Elaina Wood -- Alumni Spotlight
- Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith
- "Sabbath As Resistance" - October 30, 2014
- Three Upcoming Events - Fall 2014
- New York City Department of Social Work Host Discussion on "The New Jim Crow"
- Nyack SWO Hosts VET2MENTOR Event
- Humphreys and Roland Present at NACSW
- Dr. Lopez-Humphreys Co-Authors Countering the Silence
- Dr. Brian Roland - First Year Faculty Award
- Dr. Yun - 2013 Chair of the Year
- Dr. Lopez-Humphreys Honored for Leadership
- Dr. Brian Roland
- Solange Delmar, a Social Work Senior, Spoke at an Event that Honored Women Veterans
- Students Study Abroad in the Philippines
- Browse Blog Archive>>