Student Internship Blog - Emily Wellman
As I entered college I understood the importance of building up a resume, and having an internship, but was not sure where to start. We are graduating into a depressed economy and as young people, it is especially important that we stand out against the competition. In the end, it does not matter what school you go to, it matters what experience and networks you have built up.
When seeking out an internship there are several things that need to occur before you can be confident in getting the offer. First, it is important to be able to have an understanding of how your passions and skills make you suited for certain industries/companies. Then create a resume based on your experiences from extracurricular activities and non-profit work, to part time work. Being able to have someone look over your resume and edit it to best represent you is key. Next step is to research internship opportunities. This could mean simply browsing through websites, or reaching out to "leads" people you know in the corporate world to ask how their internship programs work. Finally it is important to practice interviewing skills so that when the opportunity arises you can put your best foot forward.
The biggest lesson I have learned is to reach out to people who have experience. Talk through your passions, learn how they rose up the corporate ladder, and ask them for advice as you begin the process. Follow up with every lead, even if they cannot offer you a job, they may know someone who can and the experience they share with you is more valuable than anything you can learn in a classroom. All this said if you are serious about getting an internship, be sure to reach out to the resources available at Nyack and read up on other people's experiences like Lauren Berger's book All Work No Pay. The process is not easy, but if you put in the effort, you will gain great opportunities in the future.
Good Luck in Your Search and Preparation!
- Congratulations MSOL & MBA Class of 2018!
- Congratulations MSOL & MBA Class of 2016!
- Business Internship Program Testimonials
- "From Sea to Shining Sea"
- Congratulations MSOL & MBA Class of 2015!
- Nyack College 2015 Mid-Hudson Regional Business Plan Competition
- IT'S ALL ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW : Blog by Jennifer Cook (Business Major)
- "Promising 1-2-3"
- The Importance of an Internship
- Bud's "RAC" (Read, Absorb, Copy)
- 2014 SBL Hooding Ceremony
- Top 6 Reasons You Never Hear Back after Applying for a Job
- "Bud's Bits" - Interviews and the Social Network
- Internship Advice: From a Professional Career Counselor
- Student Internship Blog
- 2013 SBL Hooding Ceremony
- "Bud's Bits" - Cover Letters & Resumes
- Student Internship Blog - Christopher Lynch
- "Bud's Bits" - Confidence
- "Bud's Bits" - Prepare
- Congratulations Professor Gordon Boronow!
- "Bud's Bits" - Interview Hints
- Faculty Internship Blog: Dr. Gerard Becker
- Student Internship Blog - Emily Wellman
- Student Internship Blog - Jenny Schaller
- Browse Blog Archive>>