Three Honorary Degrees to be Conferred at Commencement
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Wednesday March 9, 2011
Dr. Joel C. Hunter will be the 2011 commencement speaker at the Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary graduation ceremony on Saturday, May 7, which will be held at 2 p.m. in the 4,400-seat auditorium of the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.
Dr. Hunter is the senior pastor of Northland, A Church Distributed in Longwood, FL. He is an internationally known spokesperson for "compassion issues" outlined in Scripture: sanctity of life, creation care, justice, poverty, and marriage and the family, and has been featured in national publications including, Time, Newsweek, The New York Times, and The Washington Post. He is frequently interviewed on NPT, CNN, and PBS.
During Dr. Hunter's tenure at Northland, which began in 1985, the church has grown from 200 faithful souls to a congregation of 15,000 that worships at three sites around Metro Orlando and around the world via interactive Webcast. Congregants take leadership of nearly every ministry effort inside the church, out in the community, and around the world as Dr. Hunter encourages Northlanders: "Do what you can, where you are, with what you've got."
Before bringing his family to Northland, Dr. Hunter served as a United Methodist pastor for 15 years in Indiana. He and his wife, Becky, have been partners in the ministry since their marriage in 1972. Becky is the former president of the Global Pastors Wives Network and the author of two books on marriage and family. The Hunters are parents to three married sons: Joshua, CEO of Hunter Vision; Isaac, senior pastor of Summit Church's multi-site congregation of more than 4,000 in Orlando; and Joel, an ophthalmic surgeon. The Hunters have six grandchildren: Noah, Jada, Ella, Lincoln, Luke, and Ava, who moved to heaven on September 4, 2010, at the age of 5.
Cooperation and partnership are hallmarks of Dr. Hunter's ministry. Together, he believes, we can accomplish more because of our differences than we would on our own--without giving up our unique identities. A respected leader in the Evangelical community, he serves on the board of the World Evangelical Alliance (420 million constituents) and the National Association of Evangelicals (30 million members).
Dr. Hunter served in the inaugural year on the President's Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, which advises President Barack Obama on substantive policy issues, including interfaith relations, strengthening the role of fathers in society and reducing the number of abortions. He continues as a spiritual advisor to the President.
Dr. Hunter is the author of several books, including A New Kind of Conservative (Regal Books), which outlines a non-partisan approach to political involvement.
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- TONIGHT: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- Browse Blog Archive>>