Social Justice Day: A Nyack College Tradition
Nyack College will host its annual Social Justice Day Luncheon on Friday, January 14 at 12:15 p.m. in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus. This year the Social Justice Award will be presented to the Honorable Harriet Cornell, chairperson of the Rockland County Legislature and the first woman to serve in this role for four consecutive terms. A second Social Justice award will be presented to Dr. Stella Marrs, community liasion specialist for Rockland County's Human Rights Commission. Dr. Marrs was the former executive director and CEO of the Martin Luther King Multipurpose Center in Spring Valley, NY for 21 years and is a Rockland County Human Rights Hall of Fame inductee.
Two posthumous tributes will be announced at the luncheon. The late New York State Senator Thomas P. Morahan will be recognized. His lengthy career in local government began in 1977. He served Rockland resident as a member of the 96th district of the New York State Assembly and the Rockland County Legislature. In 1999 he won the race for the New York State Senator in the 38th senatorial district and served for five terms. Senator Morahan passed away in July 2010. A second posthumous tribute will also be paid to the Honorable William "Bill" Darden, vice chairman of the Rockland County Legislature, who passed away in October 2010. He served Rockland citizens in a number of civic and community roles. Mr. Darden retired as an educator from the East Ramapo School District in 2000.
The Social Justice Day Luncheon is a Nyack College tradition that exemplifies the institutional core value of social relevance. This platform gathers bridge-builders in Rockland County who join the campus community in a celebration that serves as a prelude to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
- OCT 7: Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Browse Blog Archive>>