Howard O. Jones, (1921-2010) Billy Graham Association Evangelist
Once more Nyack College feels the sting of another loss. This time the campus community learned of the homegoing of a 1944 Nyack alumnus, who was a pacesetter in Christendom. Dr. Howard O. Jones, a former Christian and Missionary Alliance pastor, passed away on November 14 at the age of 89.
A onetime jazz musician, he accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior at an Alliance church in Oberlin, OH and later enrolled at then Nyack Missionary Training Institute to fulfill his dream of becoming a preacher of the gospel. He and his wife, Wanda, who predeceased Dr. Jones in 2001, were both Nyack alumni who lived in West Africa doing missionary work from 1959 to 1964.
Dr. Jones is widely known for breaking the color barrier in 1958, when he became the first African American who was invited by Billy Graham to be a part of the internationally renowned evangelist’s crusade team. He served with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) for 35 years. Dr. Jones was the primary speaker on the Association’s radio broadcast, “Hour of Freedom.” In 1995, he was inducted into the National Religious Broadcasters Hall of Fame.
His autobiography, “Gospel Trailblazer: An African American Preacher’s Historic Journey Across Racial Lines” was released by Moody Publishers in 2003.
Howard Jones is survived by his children—Cheryl, Phyllis, David, Lisa, and Gail, who is the wife of baseball great, André Thornton, as well as five grandchildren.
A memorial service was held on November 20 at Oberlin Alliance Church in Ohio.
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>