Howard O. Jones, (1921-2010) Billy Graham Association Evangelist
Once more Nyack College feels the sting of another loss. This time the campus community learned of the homegoing of a 1944 Nyack alumnus, who was a pacesetter in Christendom. Dr. Howard O. Jones, a former Christian and Missionary Alliance pastor, passed away on November 14 at the age of 89.
A onetime jazz musician, he accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior at an Alliance church in Oberlin, OH and later enrolled at then Nyack Missionary Training Institute to fulfill his dream of becoming a preacher of the gospel. He and his wife, Wanda, who predeceased Dr. Jones in 2001, were both Nyack alumni who lived in West Africa doing missionary work from 1959 to 1964.
Dr. Jones is widely known for breaking the color barrier in 1958, when he became the first African American who was invited by Billy Graham to be a part of the internationally renowned evangelist’s crusade team. He served with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) for 35 years. Dr. Jones was the primary speaker on the Association’s radio broadcast, “Hour of Freedom.” In 1995, he was inducted into the National Religious Broadcasters Hall of Fame.
His autobiography, “Gospel Trailblazer: An African American Preacher’s Historic Journey Across Racial Lines” was released by Moody Publishers in 2003.
Howard Jones is survived by his children—Cheryl, Phyllis, David, Lisa, and Gail, who is the wife of baseball great, André Thornton, as well as five grandchildren.
A memorial service was held on November 20 at Oberlin Alliance Church in Ohio.
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Browse Blog Archive>>