Howard O. Jones, (1921-2010) Billy Graham Association Evangelist
Once more Nyack College feels the sting of another loss. This time the campus community learned of the homegoing of a 1944 Nyack alumnus, who was a pacesetter in Christendom. Dr. Howard O. Jones, a former Christian and Missionary Alliance pastor, passed away on November 14 at the age of 89.
A onetime jazz musician, he accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior at an Alliance church in Oberlin, OH and later enrolled at then Nyack Missionary Training Institute to fulfill his dream of becoming a preacher of the gospel. He and his wife, Wanda, who predeceased Dr. Jones in 2001, were both Nyack alumni who lived in West Africa doing missionary work from 1959 to 1964.
Dr. Jones is widely known for breaking the color barrier in 1958, when he became the first African American who was invited by Billy Graham to be a part of the internationally renowned evangelist’s crusade team. He served with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) for 35 years. Dr. Jones was the primary speaker on the Association’s radio broadcast, “Hour of Freedom.” In 1995, he was inducted into the National Religious Broadcasters Hall of Fame.
His autobiography, “Gospel Trailblazer: An African American Preacher’s Historic Journey Across Racial Lines” was released by Moody Publishers in 2003.
Howard Jones is survived by his children—Cheryl, Phyllis, David, Lisa, and Gail, who is the wife of baseball great, André Thornton, as well as five grandchildren.
A memorial service was held on November 20 at Oberlin Alliance Church in Ohio.
- TONIGHT IN ROCKLAND: Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM Launch Party
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- Browse Blog Archive>>