Thanksgiving for the Life of Dr. Paul Siu (1951-2010)
Wednesday, November 10 was a pre-Veteran's Day celebration honoring a valiant soldier for the Lord--Dr. Paul Siu, the beloved Alliance Theological Seminary professor.
The campus community gathered to face the bittersweet reality that Dr. Siu had gone home to be with the Jesus he so loved and inspired others to love more deeply.
Tributes were poignant and each unique, yet a common thread wove a tapestry of sentiments that will be a comforting covering for the campus. (One student paid homage with the moving tribute attached here.) The devoted husband and father, the scholar, the mentor, the friend, the colleague, the shepherd--and above all, the radical lover of Christ was celebrated.
Praise for this man was spoken powerfully. Warm tears flowed freely. Hymns were sung sweetly. And then a candle lighting ceremony was like a final lesson from a master teacher.
Faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends of Nyack College and ATS filed across a stage to take their unlit tea lights to touch the flame of a pillar candle.
Slowly the pillar candle was encircled by dozens of tea lights, but the pillar's flame did not hold. Though its light was out, celebrants used each others tea lights to ignite the wick.
All agree, that our modern day Apostle Paul heard Jesus say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" And now his legacy continues. Just as Dr. Siu ignited flames in the lives of hundreds of students and even colleagues, his passionate flame can continue to go from heart to heart as we offer thanksgiving for the life of Dr. Paul Siu.
- TODAY: Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- RELEASE: October 20 Unearthing Magdala, An Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins Conference
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
- India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- On the Passing of Mrs. Dianna Sanders
- Nyack NYC Student Leadership Development Retreat
- 2014 Global Engagement Lecture Features Director of REALIS Christian Center in Kiev, Ukraine
- College of Arts and Sciences Convenes Its Faculty/Staff Retreat
- Browse Blog Archive>>