Thanksgiving for the Life of Dr. Paul Siu (1951-2010)
Wednesday, November 10 was a pre-Veteran's Day celebration honoring a valiant soldier for the Lord--Dr. Paul Siu, the beloved Alliance Theological Seminary professor.
The campus community gathered to face the bittersweet reality that Dr. Siu had gone home to be with the Jesus he so loved and inspired others to love more deeply.
Tributes were poignant and each unique, yet a common thread wove a tapestry of sentiments that will be a comforting covering for the campus. (One student paid homage with the moving tribute attached here.) The devoted husband and father, the scholar, the mentor, the friend, the colleague, the shepherd--and above all, the radical lover of Christ was celebrated.
Praise for this man was spoken powerfully. Warm tears flowed freely. Hymns were sung sweetly. And then a candle lighting ceremony was like a final lesson from a master teacher.
Faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends of Nyack College and ATS filed across a stage to take their unlit tea lights to touch the flame of a pillar candle.
Slowly the pillar candle was encircled by dozens of tea lights, but the pillar's flame did not hold. Though its light was out, celebrants used each others tea lights to ignite the wick.
All agree, that our modern day Apostle Paul heard Jesus say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" And now his legacy continues. Just as Dr. Siu ignited flames in the lives of hundreds of students and even colleagues, his passionate flame can continue to go from heart to heart as we offer thanksgiving for the life of Dr. Paul Siu.
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Browse Blog Archive>>