Dr. Cliff and Mrs. Wylene Wood To Share Social Justice Award
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Monday January 4, 2010
Nyack College will host its annual Social Justice Day luncheon in Shuman Hall of the Rockland campus on Friday, January 15, 2010 at noon. SUNY Rockland Community College president, Dr. Cliff L. Wood and his wife, Wylene Branton Wood, (pictured at right) educator and advocate for social justice and equality, will share the honor as recipients of Nyack’s 2010 Social Justice Award.
Dr. Wood has spent more than three decades at five institutions of higher education. Numerous accolades for his exemplary leadership include the 2009 Northeast Regional Chief Executive Officer Award recipient from the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT). He chairs the Board of Directors for Good Samaritan Hospital and is president of the New York Community Colleges Association of Presidents.
Mrs. Wood, a former public school educator in Chicago and Los Angeles, and a former faculty member at Montgomery College in Rockville, MD, serves on the Board of Governors of Summit Park Hospital and Nursing Home and is president of the African American Historical Society of Rockland. She is also a board member of Rockland County’s Holocaust Museum and Study Center.
Keynote speaker for the luncheon, (pictured at left), is Rick Ufford-Chase. Mr. Chase is the Executive Director of the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship and has been an advocate for nonviolence as a strategy to respond to situations of grave violence. Rick is also the co-director, with his wife Kitty, of the Stony Point Conference Center, where they are establishing a residential, multi-faith community committed to the study and practice of nonviolence.
Tickets with a modest fee are required and seating for the luncheon is limited. The RSVP deadline is Wednesday, January 13, 2010. Contact the Nyack College Office of Advancement at 845.675.4424 for more information. Click here to register online at the Nyack College website.
- LAST DAY to vote for Chad Bullock in CCCU Facebook Contest
- DEC. 1: Christmas Gift Gallery Benefits Global Service-Learning Mexico Trip
- American Cancer Society Rates Nyack a Top-Ranking NY Institution With Tobacco-Free Policies
- Grace Prescriptions: Seminars for Healthcare Professionals at Nyack NYC
- December School of Music Concerts in Manhattan and in Rockland
- Nyack College Welcomes 2016 Leadership Rockland Cohort for Multi-cultural Communities Day
- Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
- School of Education Authors Release Books on Self-Regulation
- Chelsea Geyer ('12) Director of DC127, a Colloquium Guest Speaker
- ATS Alum and Author, Dimas Salaberrios, in Paris
- New Partnership With An Old Friend: Pastor Lesly Milord
- Nyack's Brittany Cruz Heads to Practice With Women's Olympic Pre-National Team
- Reading the New Testament as Second Temple Jewish Literature
- Author Deb Hirsch of Missio Alliance at Nyack/ATS
- Nyack Salutes Our Nation's Veterans
- 7th Scholars Symposium: In Search of the Meaning of Work
- A Nyack College First: Student Cyber Security Team
- A Showcase of Academic Excellence: Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Fulbright Ambassador Brian Polkinghorn Visits Nyack College
- National Nursing Exam Scores on a Strong and Steady Rise
- Alumni of the Year Award Honorees Across the Decades
- Nyack on U.S. News & World Report 2016 Best Colleges Diversity List
- AWF President Visits Nyack/ATS Rockland
- MA in Mental Health Counseling Online Approved by NYS Education Department
- Peter Irvine, 2015 School of Business and Leadership Keynote Speaker
- Browse Blog Archive>>