Nyack DC Partners With Central Union Mission
The Nyack DC campus has forged a partnership with Central Union Mission, the oldest social service agency in Washington, DC. The "Campaign for Compassion," is a five-month effort, which began in November to encourage public service and support for Washington's poor, homeless, hungry, addicted and friendless.
More than 12,000 men, women, and children in the nation’s capitol and the surrounding area are living in shelters, transitional housing, or on the streets. In light of the suffering of so many, Central Union Mission and Nyack DC will go into churches on what are called "Compassion Sundays" and challenge congregants on the issues of compassion and public service for the poor.
Nyack and the Mission will also offer special programs for emergency shelters, special programs for children, and schools, participating in a "Help for the Homeless Walkathon." Dr. Patricia Johnson, Associate Dean, who directs Nyack DC’s new Certification Program in Community Development, which launches in February 2010, moderates a blog: "Compassion: A Conversation Blog" at http://missiondc.org/blog hosted by the Central Union Mission. "This is a natural for us in light of Nyack's core values," said Nyack's Dean, Dr. Richard Gathro.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>