Commencement 2009 Speaker: Rev. A.R. Bernard, Sr.
On Saturday, May 9, Rev. A.R. Bernard, Sr. will be the 2009 Commencement speaker for nearly 600 graduates of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS). The 2:00 p.m. ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. Rev. Bernard will also receive an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree. Last year he was appointed president of The Council of Churches of the City of New York, the nation's oldest ecumencial organization. Bernard has earned two master’s degrees, a Master of Professional Studies in Urban Studies and a Master of Divinity from Alliance Theological Seminary. He is the founder and CEO of Christian Cultural Center (CCC), a 30,000-member church located on an 11.5 -acre campus in Brooklyn, NY.
Bernard is a member of the New York City Economic Development Corporation Board and the New York City School Chancellor’s Advisory Cabinet and a part of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s Transition Team in 2001. A lengthy list of accolades includes the most influential New York Clergyman (NewYork Daily News, February 2008); most influential African American New Yorker (New York Post, February 2008); and one of New York’s Most Influential People (New York Magazine, 2006). In 2007, the Consulate General of Israel in New York, Jewish Community Relations Council, and Jewish National Fund honored him with a lifetime achievement award. His television shows, “Faith In Practice” and “A. R. Bernard” air nationally and in New York. Touchstone/Simon & Schuster published his book, Happiness Is… Simple Steps To a Life of Joy. A radio broadcast can be heard nationwide on Salem Communication stations and locally within New York’s tri-state area.
Two other honorary degrees will be awarded. J. Douglas Holladay, a former U.S. Ambassador to South Africa under President Ronald Reagan and co-founder of Park Avenue Equity Partners, L.P. with offices in New York and Washington will receive an honorary Doctor of Laws from Nyack College. Abraham M. Lackman, the sixth President of the Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (cIcu), will receive an honorary Doctor of Letters.
- Official Statement in Response to Media Announced Law Suit
- MA in Mental Health Counseling Online Approved by NYS Education Department
- School of Music Reunion with Dr. John McArthur
- OCT 17: Fall Fishing
- October 17: Homecoming Block Party!
- Woman: A Rite of Passage Initiation Ceremony Held
- Dr. Mark Nanos Welcomed to Nyack NYC for AJCO Colloquia Series
- Peter Irvine, 2015 School of Business and Leadership Keynote Speaker Coming October 13
- A HOMECOMING HIT! The Running Warrior 3K Walk & 5K Road Race
- Nyack on U.S. News & World Report 2016 Best Colleges Diversity List
- NYC Campus Library Gets a New Name
- The Names by Billy Collins
- ATS Alumnus/Author Dimas Salaberrios, a Fox & Friends Guest
- Homecoming 2015: Nyack Alumni, Prepare to Dine!
- The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
- Forum on Restorative Justice Features Nyack Professor
- Math Prof Conducts Research at Seoul International Christian Academy in Korea
- Inspiration for a New Academic Year at Nyack/ATS
- School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
- Peter Rohdin: Responding to God's Call
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Nyack/ATS Loses a Dear Friend
- Nyack College Represented in Journal News STEM Education Feature
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- Browse Blog Archive>>