Commencement 2009 Speaker: Rev. A.R. Bernard, Sr.
On Saturday, May 9, Rev. A.R. Bernard, Sr. will be the 2009 Commencement speaker for nearly 600 graduates of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS). The 2:00 p.m. ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. Rev. Bernard will also receive an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree. Last year he was appointed president of The Council of Churches of the City of New York, the nation's oldest ecumencial organization. Bernard has earned two master’s degrees, a Master of Professional Studies in Urban Studies and a Master of Divinity from Alliance Theological Seminary. He is the founder and CEO of Christian Cultural Center (CCC), a 30,000-member church located on an 11.5 -acre campus in Brooklyn, NY.
Bernard is a member of the New York City Economic Development Corporation Board and the New York City School Chancellor’s Advisory Cabinet and a part of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s Transition Team in 2001. A lengthy list of accolades includes the most influential New York Clergyman (NewYork Daily News, February 2008); most influential African American New Yorker (New York Post, February 2008); and one of New York’s Most Influential People (New York Magazine, 2006). In 2007, the Consulate General of Israel in New York, Jewish Community Relations Council, and Jewish National Fund honored him with a lifetime achievement award. His television shows, “Faith In Practice” and “A. R. Bernard” air nationally and in New York. Touchstone/Simon & Schuster published his book, Happiness Is… Simple Steps To a Life of Joy. A radio broadcast can be heard nationwide on Salem Communication stations and locally within New York’s tri-state area.
Two other honorary degrees will be awarded. J. Douglas Holladay, a former U.S. Ambassador to South Africa under President Ronald Reagan and co-founder of Park Avenue Equity Partners, L.P. with offices in New York and Washington will receive an honorary Doctor of Laws from Nyack College. Abraham M. Lackman, the sixth President of the Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (cIcu), will receive an honorary Doctor of Letters.
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Daniela Guirola (NC '15) Gives Music Project Proceeds to Guatemalan Non-Profit
- Lynette Rhett, Nyack NYC Student Releases CD--Come Jesus Come
- Distance Ed Roster Grows at Nyack /ATS
- Sat., June 4: Top 10 Tips on the Great Fish Count from Dr. Peter Park
- Nyack NYC School of Music's "Purpose" Performs at Essex Alliance Church
- YouVersion Founder Bobby Gruenewald Calls Nyack/ATS Grads World Changers
- Nyack Student Government Recognizes Campus Leaders
- Commencement Guests Share Appreciation for Nyack's Mission
- Celebrating Commencement 2016
- Parents of Youth 7-18! Check Out Summer Sports Camps at Nyack
- Zahir Edwards (1996-2016)...President Scales Pays Tribute to a Nyack Warrior
- Nyack Represented at Education Financing Forum
- Nyack Students and Faculty Perform in Musikabend
- Meet Dr. Peter Park at the World Science Festival's Great Fish Count
- Nyack's 2016 Year-End Faculty/Staff Luncheon and Awards
- Nyack College 2016 Honorary Degree Recipient Featured in "The Village"
- Browse Blog Archive>>