Social Justice Day Speaker at Nyack Rockland
Nyack’s annual Social Justice Day luncheon will be held in Shuman Hall on Friday, January 18 at 12:30 p.m. on the Rockland County campus. This event is a prelude to celebrating the national Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday on Monday, January 21.
The 2008 recipient of the Social Justice Award will be C. Scott Vanderhoef, Rockland County Executive, who is currently serving his third term. The guest speaker for this popular event, which is well received by both the campus and the Rockland community, will be Mrs.Wylene Branton Wood. A dynamic educator and promoter of social justice and equality, Mrs. Wood is the president of the African American Historical Society of Rockland County. She also served as Co-Chair of La Amistad Project Committee for Haverstraw, NY.
Mrs. Wood is the wife of Dr. Cliff Wood, president of SUNY Rockland Community College and the daughter of Wiley Austin Branton Sr., who was lead counsel in Cooper vs. Aaron, better known as “The Little Rock Nine” case, which filed suit against attempts to delay the integration of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Tickets for the luncheon are $50 per person. For more information phone 845.675.4589 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sept. 10: Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- Nyack School of Music Students to Perform at City Hall in Manhattan
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- On the Passing of Mrs. Dianna Sanders
- Nyack NYC Student Leadership Development Retreat
- 2014 Global Engagement Lecture Features Director of REALIS Christian Center in Kiev, Ukraine
- College of Arts and Sciences Convenes Its Faculty/Staff Retreat
- Nyack History Professor Receives Columbia U Libraries Research Award
- Coming Soon: Nyack NYC and Rockland Student Orientations
- A Sunday Best: Nyack's Own Brightnie Jones
- Important Info for Returning Nyack NYC and Rockland Students
- The Independent Sector Highlights Nyack's STEM Education Participation
- Dr. Leonard Kageler Receives YCL "World Changers Award"
- RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
- Browse Blog Archive>>