Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2008
Monday, January 21, Nyack College will celebrate the annual Martin Luther King. Jr. holiday. Though classes are not in session, the “day off” will be a “day on” with several opportunities for the campus to serve community organizations or to attend local events in remembrance of Dr. King's legacy.
Events include the following:
Annual Martin Luther King Community Breakfast,
St. Charles AME Zion Church, 432 Valentine Ave, Sparkill, NY
Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary president, Dr. Michael G. Scales will be the guest speaker.
North Broadway and Depew St., Nyack, NY
Volunteers will work on repair projects at Nyack Center.
Community Blood Drive and Health Fair
119 Main St., Nyack, NY
10:00 am- 2:00 pm and 3:30 p.m.-5:00 pm
In addition to free medical tests and screenings, Riverspace will show the film, Martin Luther King, Jr.: The Man and the Dream.
Annual Martin Luther King Commemorative Service
Pilgrim Baptist Church
33 North Franklin St., Nyack, NY
This special service, which begins at 2:00 p.m., will include a performance by Nyack College’s More Than Conquerors Gospel Choir.
New Life Community Health Center
82-10 Queens Blvd. , Elmhurst, NY
Members of Nyack College Athletic Teams will work on projects at the Health Center.
Fueled by the famous King quote: "Be concerned about your brother...either we go up together, or we go down together. Let us develop a kind of dangerous unselfishness," Nyack will partner with several organizations on special activities. The groups include the Berea Seventh Day Adventist Church, The Indian Nurses Association, The Rockland Chapter of the American Association of University Women, Rockland County Department of Health, The Rockland Ministerial Alliance and the Honorable John Shields, mayor of the Village of Nyack.
For additional information, contact the Office of Community Relations at 845.675.4791.
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Browse Blog Archive>>