Nations Study US
International Visitor Leadership Program 2007
Nyack College is known for responding to The Great Commission by sending students and alumni around the globe to serve others. Tuesday, November 13, 2007, the nations came to Nyack to be served.
Under the auspices of the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, a delegation of international visitors spent a day at Nyack’s Rockland County campus. The goal of the IVLP is to increase mutual understanding between the United States and people of other nations.
Administrators and educators came from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Ghana, Guatemala, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Jerusalem, Luxembourg, Mozambique, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Serbia, Somalia, and Turkey, accompanied by Department of State representatives.
During a three-week stay, beginning in October, the group convened in America to study the structure and administration of the U.S. system of higher education; to discuss changes in the relationship between institutions of learning and the government, business community and the non-profit sector; and to address challenges common to educators and administrators in higher education.
A morning plenary session kicked off with a welcome from President Dr. Michael Scales. Other presentations included “The History and Institutional Structure of Nyack College” by Provost Dr. David Turk; “The Role of Religious Education in Post Secondary Education in America” by Advisor to the President and Executive Director of the Institute for Collaborative Engagement, Dr. Samuel Barkat; “A Framework for the Future" by Dr. Scales, and “The Global Engagement of Nyack College by Alliance Theological Seminary professor Dr. Martin Sanders. Break-out groups addressed student services, international programs, university administration, and information technology. With the backdrop of brilliant autumn foliage and the Hudson River in the distance, a campus tour introduced the men and women to landmark buildings and even the gravesite of founder Dr. A.B. Simpson.
During each presentation, question and answer sessions were welcomed and the group engaged in a dialogue on perhaps the most unique paradigm for liberal arts education the visitors saw during their cross country travels. Nyack College was the only religious institution on their itinerary. Other New York schools included Columbia University’s Teacher’s College, City University of New York, and New York University.
After taking in the depth of Nyack’s five governing core values: academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming and socially relevant, a Nigerian journalist in the group suggested to Dr. Scales, that Nyack should present its vision “to the White House.”
While campus visits are a common ritual at Nyack, this November visit will long be remembered as a day when, as Dr. Barkat commented, “a family meeting…a meeting of cousins” took place. It was a literal session of united nations and...another 125th anniversary milestone for Nyack College.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>