Nations Study US
International Visitor Leadership Program 2007
Nyack College is known for responding to The Great Commission by sending students and alumni around the globe to serve others. Tuesday, November 13, 2007, the nations came to Nyack to be served.
Under the auspices of the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, a delegation of international visitors spent a day at Nyack’s Rockland County campus. The goal of the IVLP is to increase mutual understanding between the United States and people of other nations.
Administrators and educators came from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Ghana, Guatemala, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Jerusalem, Luxembourg, Mozambique, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Serbia, Somalia, and Turkey, accompanied by Department of State representatives.
During a three-week stay, beginning in October, the group convened in America to study the structure and administration of the U.S. system of higher education; to discuss changes in the relationship between institutions of learning and the government, business community and the non-profit sector; and to address challenges common to educators and administrators in higher education.
A morning plenary session kicked off with a welcome from President Dr. Michael Scales. Other presentations included “The History and Institutional Structure of Nyack College” by Provost Dr. David Turk; “The Role of Religious Education in Post Secondary Education in America” by Advisor to the President and Executive Director of the Institute for Collaborative Engagement, Dr. Samuel Barkat; “A Framework for the Future" by Dr. Scales, and “The Global Engagement of Nyack College by Alliance Theological Seminary professor Dr. Martin Sanders. Break-out groups addressed student services, international programs, university administration, and information technology. With the backdrop of brilliant autumn foliage and the Hudson River in the distance, a campus tour introduced the men and women to landmark buildings and even the gravesite of founder Dr. A.B. Simpson.
During each presentation, question and answer sessions were welcomed and the group engaged in a dialogue on perhaps the most unique paradigm for liberal arts education the visitors saw during their cross country travels. Nyack College was the only religious institution on their itinerary. Other New York schools included Columbia University’s Teacher’s College, City University of New York, and New York University.
After taking in the depth of Nyack’s five governing core values: academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming and socially relevant, a Nigerian journalist in the group suggested to Dr. Scales, that Nyack should present its vision “to the White House.”
While campus visits are a common ritual at Nyack, this November visit will long be remembered as a day when, as Dr. Barkat commented, “a family meeting…a meeting of cousins” took place. It was a literal session of united nations and...another 125th anniversary milestone for Nyack College.
- Nyack Student Government Recognizes Campus Leaders
- Commencement Guests Share Appreciation for Nyack's Mission
- Celebrating Commencement 2016
- Parents of Youth 7-18! Check Out Summer Sports Camps at Nyack
- Zahir Edwards (1996-2016)...President Scales Pays Tribute to a Nyack Warrior
- Nyack Represented at Education Financing Forum
- Nyack Students and Faculty Perform in Musikabend
- Meet Dr. Peter Park at the World Science Festival's Great Fish Count
- Nyack's 2016 Year-End Faculty/Staff Luncheon and Awards
- Nyack College 2016 Honorary Degree Recipient Featured in "The Village"
- The 2016 Celebration of Woman
- Nyack NYC School of Music Profs and Student in Jazz on the Plaza!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement at the Westchester County Center
- Meet Nyack's 2016 Valedictorians!
- Battery Park Campus Now Owned by Nyack College
- A Celebration of Pentecost at Bedford Community Church
- Dr. David Ireland, Rockland County Day of Prayer Keynote Speaker
- Just Released! The Fine Print 2016
- Celebrating Nyack Honor Society Students
- Last Weekend Performances of Mozart's "The Magic Flute"
- West Side Story in Lower Manhattan
- Nyack Doing Community Well: Loving Our Neighbor
- Nyack's Inaugural Social Work Graduate Research Colloquium
- PRAXIS Connections Dinner for Emerging Leaders at Nyack NYC
- How Was Your Weekend?
- Browse Blog Archive>>