Nations Study US
International Visitor Leadership Program 2007
Nyack College is known for responding to The Great Commission by sending students and alumni around the globe to serve others. Tuesday, November 13, 2007, the nations came to Nyack to be served.
Under the auspices of the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, a delegation of international visitors spent a day at Nyack’s Rockland County campus. The goal of the IVLP is to increase mutual understanding between the United States and people of other nations.
Administrators and educators came from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Ghana, Guatemala, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Jerusalem, Luxembourg, Mozambique, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Serbia, Somalia, and Turkey, accompanied by Department of State representatives.
During a three-week stay, beginning in October, the group convened in America to study the structure and administration of the U.S. system of higher education; to discuss changes in the relationship between institutions of learning and the government, business community and the non-profit sector; and to address challenges common to educators and administrators in higher education.
A morning plenary session kicked off with a welcome from President Dr. Michael Scales. Other presentations included “The History and Institutional Structure of Nyack College” by Provost Dr. David Turk; “The Role of Religious Education in Post Secondary Education in America” by Advisor to the President and Executive Director of the Institute for Collaborative Engagement, Dr. Samuel Barkat; “A Framework for the Future" by Dr. Scales, and “The Global Engagement of Nyack College by Alliance Theological Seminary professor Dr. Martin Sanders. Break-out groups addressed student services, international programs, university administration, and information technology. With the backdrop of brilliant autumn foliage and the Hudson River in the distance, a campus tour introduced the men and women to landmark buildings and even the gravesite of founder Dr. A.B. Simpson.
During each presentation, question and answer sessions were welcomed and the group engaged in a dialogue on perhaps the most unique paradigm for liberal arts education the visitors saw during their cross country travels. Nyack College was the only religious institution on their itinerary. Other New York schools included Columbia University’s Teacher’s College, City University of New York, and New York University.
After taking in the depth of Nyack’s five governing core values: academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming and socially relevant, a Nigerian journalist in the group suggested to Dr. Scales, that Nyack should present its vision “to the White House.”
While campus visits are a common ritual at Nyack, this November visit will long be remembered as a day when, as Dr. Barkat commented, “a family meeting…a meeting of cousins” took place. It was a literal session of united nations and...another 125th anniversary milestone for Nyack College.
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Browse Blog Archive>>