Tribute to School of Music Dean
Dr. Glenn Koponen
Dean, School of Music
"It was like Mr. Holland’s Opus!”
Those were the words Dr. Michael Scales used to describe the surprise tribute to Dr. Glenn Koponen last Friday evening that interrupted the Wind Ensemble & Handbell concert in Pardington Hall at the Rockland campus.
The Associate Dean of Nyack’s School of Music was acknowledged for his distinguished service to Nyack College and its music students. In Dr. Koponen’s expression of gratitude to Nyack's president, he wrote, “Forty years sounds shorter all the time, and in some ways it seems like yesterday when I first received a call from Dr. (Lee) Olson’s secretary about teaching at Nyack.”
Honoring his role as professor, mentor, and now dean, the gifted, committed educator and friend to his staff and students was presented with a basket of 40 apples to mark 40 years of conducting the Nyack Wind Ensemble. When Dr. Koponen first came to Nyack in 1967, he was a part-time instructor teaching trumpet and leading the Brass Choir. He is credited with organizing and naming the group that became the Nyack Wind Ensemble in 1968.
The former member of the West Point Band has proudly conducted Nyack’s Wind Ensemble, which today is comprised of students, faculty, staff and community musicians, including West Point Band members.
The Nyack College community salutes the fine work of Dr. Glenn Koponen.
- SEPT 28: Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM Launch Party
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Browse Blog Archive>>