Tribute to School of Music Dean
Dr. Glenn Koponen
Dean, School of Music
"It was like Mr. Holland’s Opus!”
Those were the words Dr. Michael Scales used to describe the surprise tribute to Dr. Glenn Koponen last Friday evening that interrupted the Wind Ensemble & Handbell concert in Pardington Hall at the Rockland campus.
The Associate Dean of Nyack’s School of Music was acknowledged for his distinguished service to Nyack College and its music students. In Dr. Koponen’s expression of gratitude to Nyack's president, he wrote, “Forty years sounds shorter all the time, and in some ways it seems like yesterday when I first received a call from Dr. (Lee) Olson’s secretary about teaching at Nyack.”
Honoring his role as professor, mentor, and now dean, the gifted, committed educator and friend to his staff and students was presented with a basket of 40 apples to mark 40 years of conducting the Nyack Wind Ensemble. When Dr. Koponen first came to Nyack in 1967, he was a part-time instructor teaching trumpet and leading the Brass Choir. He is credited with organizing and naming the group that became the Nyack Wind Ensemble in 1968.
The former member of the West Point Band has proudly conducted Nyack’s Wind Ensemble, which today is comprised of students, faculty, staff and community musicians, including West Point Band members.
The Nyack College community salutes the fine work of Dr. Glenn Koponen.
- Monday, October 20: Unearthing Magdala--Nyack College Hosts Conference for Interfaith Scholars
- Velocity! Debuts at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- October 17: Nyack's School of Social Work and Community Connections for Youth Release Report
- Steinway Piano Dedication With Steinway & Sons President Ron Losby and CD-60 Biographer James Barron
- Miovski and Mansfield Families Music Hall Dedicated at Nyack NYC Campus
- Official Nyack College Statement Regarding Unknown Man on Campus September 23
- Anti-Human Trafficking Art Exhibit with Susan Clinthorne and Sally Thielen at Nyack Rockland
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- Browse Blog Archive>>