Tribute to School of Music Dean
Dr. Glenn Koponen
Dean, School of Music
"It was like Mr. Holland’s Opus!”
Those were the words Dr. Michael Scales used to describe the surprise tribute to Dr. Glenn Koponen last Friday evening that interrupted the Wind Ensemble & Handbell concert in Pardington Hall at the Rockland campus.
The Associate Dean of Nyack’s School of Music was acknowledged for his distinguished service to Nyack College and its music students. In Dr. Koponen’s expression of gratitude to Nyack's president, he wrote, “Forty years sounds shorter all the time, and in some ways it seems like yesterday when I first received a call from Dr. (Lee) Olson’s secretary about teaching at Nyack.”
Honoring his role as professor, mentor, and now dean, the gifted, committed educator and friend to his staff and students was presented with a basket of 40 apples to mark 40 years of conducting the Nyack Wind Ensemble. When Dr. Koponen first came to Nyack in 1967, he was a part-time instructor teaching trumpet and leading the Brass Choir. He is credited with organizing and naming the group that became the Nyack Wind Ensemble in 1968.
The former member of the West Point Band has proudly conducted Nyack’s Wind Ensemble, which today is comprised of students, faculty, staff and community musicians, including West Point Band members.
The Nyack College community salutes the fine work of Dr. Glenn Koponen.
- Manhattan Campus Library Gets a New Name
- ATS Alumnus/Author Dimas Salaberrios, a Fox & Friends Guest
- Homecoming 2015: Nyack Alumni, Prepare to Dine!
- The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
- Forum on Restorative Justice Features Nyack Professor
- Math Prof Conducts Research at Seoul International Christian Academy in Korea
- Inspiration for a New Academic Year at Nyack/ATS
- School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
- RELEASE: Nyack's 2015 Golf Classic at Saint Andrew's Golf
- Peter Rohdin: Responding to God's Call
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Nyack/ATS Loses a Dear Friend
- Nyack College Represented in Journal News STEM Education Feature
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Fall 2015 Launch for School of Social Work's New MSW Program at Nyack
- Nursing School Students Volunteer at Walter Hoving Home
- Lauren Lebo, NCAA Division II Lacrosse Champ
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Browse Blog Archive>>