Loss in the Nyack Community
The Nyack College campus in Rockland County announces with regret the untimely death of Mi Ra Park, a sophomore international student, after a head-on collision with a truck. The fatal crash occurred on Sunday, October 21 at 5:20 p.m. on Interstate 81 in Frederick County, Virginia and has been confirmed by the Virginia State Police. Mi Ra was visiting with her younger brother, also a student, studying in Virginia.
Nyack students who were aware of her trip to Virginia contacted the Virginia State Police on Monday, October 22 to file a missing person’s report when they had not heard from her since Sunday afternoon. The police responded with the news at 1:00 a.m. today that Ms. Park had been killed in a car accident. Residence Life staff was subsequently informed.
Dean of Students, Mrs. Michele Pinkham in coordination with Nyack’s Campus Pastor, Rev. Kelvin Walker, has enlisted the help of faculty and staff to be available to assist students with processing this loss.
Special prayer room hours have been established and began today in Boon Campus Center from 1:00 p.m. and will run until 10 p.m. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, the prayer room will be open from 11:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.
Mi Ra’s parents are en route to the United States from Korea. Funeral arrangements are unavailable at this time. Please keep Mi Ra’s family in prayer—for the safe travel of her parents and for the comfort needed for family and friends during this sudden tragedy.
- Sept. 10: Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- Nyack School of Music Students to Perform at City Hall in Manhattan
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- On the Passing of Mrs. Dianna Sanders
- Nyack NYC Student Leadership Development Retreat
- 2014 Global Engagement Lecture Features Director of REALIS Christian Center in Kiev, Ukraine
- College of Arts and Sciences Convenes Its Faculty/Staff Retreat
- Nyack History Professor Receives Columbia U Libraries Research Award
- Coming Soon: Nyack NYC and Rockland Student Orientations
- A Sunday Best: Nyack's Own Brightnie Jones
- Important Info for Returning Nyack NYC and Rockland Students
- The Independent Sector Highlights Nyack's STEM Education Participation
- Dr. Leonard Kageler Receives YCL "World Changers Award"
- RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
- Browse Blog Archive>>