Nyack Applauds Academic Support Dean
During the 2007 Faculty/Staff workshop held in Pardington Hall on the Rockland County campus, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dr. David Turk, announced that Dr. Joyce Simons, will be leaving her post as Dean of the Division of Academic Support Services, effective September 1.
Over the course of her fourteen-year tenure at Nyack, she has been a fervent advocate for the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) at Nyack College. She also championed Nyack’s Introduction to Academia (NIA) program. Both HEOP and NIA offer students the academic guidance that may have been lacking in their pre-college educational experience.
The Division of Academic Support Services provides a five-week College Warm-up Program, tutoring, academic advisement, counseling, career planning and financial aid. Developmental courses in writing, reading, critical thinking and computer literacy are also available through this division. Disabilities Support Services and the Academic Success and Writing & Research Center are also branches of Academic Support Services.
Dr. Simons holds the distinction of being Nyack’s first African American faculty member with a doctoral degree, the Ed.D., which she earned at Columbia University. She completed undergraduate studies at Cornell University and both her M.A. and Ed.M. at Columbia University. Because of her belief that “to whom much is given, much is required,” her service to students—nurturing, encouraging, stretching—has been invaluable.
Dr. Turk spoke of Nyack’s indebtedness to this pacesetting educator and spoke highly of her legacy she leaves with her students. Surrounded by deans and directors, Dr. Michael Scales prayed God’s blessing over Dr. Simons and the next chapter of her calling as a servant leader.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>