Nyack Applauds Academic Support Dean
During the 2007 Faculty/Staff workshop held in Pardington Hall on the Rockland County campus, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dr. David Turk, announced that Dr. Joyce Simons, will be leaving her post as Dean of the Division of Academic Support Services, effective September 1.
Over the course of her fourteen-year tenure at Nyack, she has been a fervent advocate for the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) at Nyack College. She also championed Nyack’s Introduction to Academia (NIA) program. Both HEOP and NIA offer students the academic guidance that may have been lacking in their pre-college educational experience.
The Division of Academic Support Services provides a five-week College Warm-up Program, tutoring, academic advisement, counseling, career planning and financial aid. Developmental courses in writing, reading, critical thinking and computer literacy are also available through this division. Disabilities Support Services and the Academic Success and Writing & Research Center are also branches of Academic Support Services.
Dr. Simons holds the distinction of being Nyack’s first African American faculty member with a doctoral degree, the Ed.D., which she earned at Columbia University. She completed undergraduate studies at Cornell University and both her M.A. and Ed.M. at Columbia University. Because of her belief that “to whom much is given, much is required,” her service to students—nurturing, encouraging, stretching—has been invaluable.
Dr. Turk spoke of Nyack’s indebtedness to this pacesetting educator and spoke highly of her legacy she leaves with her students. Surrounded by deans and directors, Dr. Michael Scales prayed God’s blessing over Dr. Simons and the next chapter of her calling as a servant leader.
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- NOV 19: Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- Fall Concerts at Nyack College
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Auditions for Spring 2015 Production of "The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon"
- OCTOBER 30: CSGE Colloquium Series on Environmental Sustainability
- NY Times Hails Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer (NC '65) as "The Malaria Fighter"
- RELEASE: Official Statement on Ebola Update - Week October 27
- Saturday, October 25--U of Pittsburgh Welcomes ATS Dean Ron Walborn for Bridge Forum: A Livestreamed Event!
- OCT 25: Dr. R. Steven Notley Featured Lecturer at Lanier Theological Library in Houston, TX
- Browse Blog Archive>>