A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
At Nyack College, we’re observing Black History Month 2018 by presenting a series of short profiles written by members of our faculty and staff. The features pay homage to an African American individual who inspired and encouraged their faith journey. These personal experiences are illustrations that affirm the widely adopted practice of mentoring in our campus community. These are our four February features.
Name a person who had a significant influence on your faith journey.
Dr. Charles Hammond, pastor and Nyack College colleague.
Share how this individual helped shape your life as a Christian.
I have known Pastor Hammond for almost 30 years. We first met when he was counseling a young husband and wife; the husband was seeking admission to college. I was able to help the young man, but the work Pastor Hammond did for them is what prompted my initial respect for him.
At about the same time my wife had become interested in attending The Brooklyn Tabernacle where Pastor Hammond was an associate pastor. For my part, I was a somewhat more reluctant congregant. While I joined my wife in attending, I was mentally preparing to observe how the conduct of the church's pastors aligned with their profession of faith. I joined the men's chorus at The Brooklyn Tabernacle, which was led by Pastor Hammond. Then and there, I decided that Pastor Hammond would be my litmus test. Contrary to what I had wanted to believe, I found Pastor Hammond to be everything he professed to be. He was and is a man of faith and lives a life of faith and prayer.
Twelve years ago, he joined the Nyack College staff. It was in many ways a great benefit to me that he came to Nyack, because when the position of Director of Student Financial Services became available, he put my name in for consideration. I have now held that position for the last 10 years.
I know of many situations at Nyack and The Brooklyn Tabernacle in which the active faith and lifestyle of Dr. Charles Hammond has similarly impacted numerous persons.
Director of Student Financial Services
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>