A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
At Nyack College we’re observing Black History Month 2018 by presenting a series of short profiles written by members of our faculty and staff. The features pay homage to an African American individual who inspired and encouraged their faith journey. These personal experiences are illustrations that affirm the widely adopted practice of mentoring in our campus community. These are our four February features.
Name a person who had a significant influence on your faith journey.
Henry Graham Scott (1918-2017), Mentor.
Share how this individual helped shape your life as a Christian.
Reverend Henry Scott has been my spiritual father and mentor all of my teenage years and all of my adult life. My biological father passed away suddenly in 1985. Rev. Scott and my father, James Robertson, were close friends. My dad was a deacon at Cornerstone Baptist Church. After the death of my father, I adopted Reverend Scott to be my spiritual father as he continued in the role of mentor.
Every adult decision I have made since the passing of my father, I have consulted with Reverend Scott. He had the gift of encouragement. He would encourage you to have faith, pray, have perseverance, and work hard. He had many quotes that were legendary among his apprentices. One of my favorites is, "I pray about something and then I get up off my knees and help God answer my prayer." I give God thanks for the ministry of nurture and encouragement of Rev. Henry Scott.
Dr. Cleotha Robertson
Assistant Professor Old Testament
Alliance Theological Seminary, New York City
- FEB 21: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Browse Blog Archive>>